Mar 9, 2012, 9:06 PM EDT
The Lakers are frustrated. They are talking about wanting to run more triangle sets and less of Mike Brown’s east-to-west motion offense. I’ve said it’s less about the offense than the execution — the Lakers need to be an inside-out team, but are you when Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol combined take just 1.7 more shots per game than Kobe Bryant alone? And in the loss to Washington, Kobe had 30 points on 31 shots to Bynum/Gasol having 38 points on 19 shots. That’s not running the offense as designed.
The problem is it’s not always easy for the Lakers to get the ball into their post players because defenders sag down into the paint — and the Lakers don’t make them pay. The Lakers are shooting just 30.3 percent from three going into Friday night, third worst in the league (the Bobcats and Jazz are worse).
Coach Mike Brown talked about it, as reported by Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register:
“We’ve got to make them pay on the back side, so teams are hesitant about doubling because they’re getting hurt on the weak side,” Brown said. “We’re shooting 30 percent from 3(-point range) right now, so that doesn’t quite help the cause, because teams stay in the double team longer and they really come aggressively.
“If we were halfway decent in that (3-point) area, where we’re getting great looks because guys are getting doubled, we’d be even better and more efficient offensively. But it’s going to continue to be a struggle for our guys on the block, because, shoot, I know if I’m playing us, I would double those guys. I don’t know who wouldn’t.”
What Brown wants to run is what the Spurs ran with Tim Duncan and David Robinson — but those Spurs teams had good shooters everywhere spacing the court. Collapse on the bigs and the ball moved and you paid a price.
There is no price to be paid with the Lakers. They don’t move the ball consistently, they don’t knock down shots. They do not make themselves hard to defend, they just beat you because they have three really talented players. But those guys need help.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 58
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32