Mar 9, 2012, 11:03 AM EDT
The rumors swirling around the Boston Celtics are of radical changes — Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen have all had their names come up in trade scenarios — but in the end it may all be a lot of words with no action. Well, it is an election year, we should expect a lot of that.
Boston’s brass doesn’t expect to make a big move and are not close to getting a deal done soon.
That is what GM Danny Ainge told ESPNBoston.com.
“Nothing is even close. As of right now we have nothing close to happening,” Ainge said on Boston sports radio station WEEI. “It’s not from a lack of trying. Not necessarily to make major changes but to make small changes at least.
“But we still have a long time before March 15 to see if we can do something to help our team.”
Doc Rivers told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com that he doesn’t expect a shakeup.
“I don’t expect anything big to come down,” Rivers said. “I wouldn’t be shocked if nothing came down, to be honest.”
For a variety of reasons — from Dwight Howard creating a trade bottleneck to GMs being busy scouting college games this week and next — it is likely trades that do come down will be pushed up against the March 15 deadline. That day may be crazy. And the Celtics might be part of the show.
But right now, the waters look peaceful off Boston Harbor.
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 23
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 28
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Memphis Grizzlies have new anthem: “We Don’t Bluff” 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay