Mar 9, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
For a long time, Andrew Bogut was untouchable as a trade piece in Milwaukee — there just are not a lot of quality big men in the NBA and when healthy Bogut was a borderline All-Star.
But he hasn’t really been healthy for several years — first his major elbow injury two years ago and this year he broke his ankle — so now the Bucks are listening to offers for the Australian center, according to multiple reports.
But there is a catch, reports Mark Stein of ESPN.
Sources say that the Bucks, at least for the moment, are insisting that any team that trades for Bogut take on the disgruntled Stephen Jackson as part of the trade.
And that’s what is bound to keep Bogut in Milwaukee past Thursday’s 3 p.m. trade deadline more than his latest health setback, after he suffered a fractured left ankle against Houston on Jan. 25 after landing on the Rockets’ Samuel Dalembert in the lane.
Jackson is owed $10 million next season and teams are leery about taking that on. Bogut is owed $27 million over two seasons after this one, but again if healthy he is worth that. It’s a gamble some teams would take.
Bogut has never requested a trade but is open to the idea, reports the Racine Journal Times.
But there are whispers Bogut wouldn’t mind a change of scenery, having become frustrated about the team’s lack of progress and his strained relationship with Bucks head coach Scott Skiles.
Skiles wears on a lot of players. He’s an old-school, hard-a** coach and players get tired of that act.
One team reportedly interested is the Washington Wizards, who would likely want to swap bigs and give the Bucks JaVale McGee. But likely not at the price of taking on Jackson, too.
A Bogut trade is something to watch, but if the Bucks really are insisting on someone taking on S-Jax don’t expect a deal.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 43
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 55
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10