Mar 8, 2012, 9:24 PM EST
Indiana is a team you can expect to be busy around the trade deadline. There are a couple of reasons, for one they have a ton of cap space so they can take on contracts and not have to send back equal value (something teams trying to shed payroll covet). Secondly, they are a good team in the East (currently the fifth seed) who thinks they are a few tweaks away from being a real threat.
Rumors of the Pacers being interested in the up-tempo style and scoring of recent Sixth Man of the Year Crawford have been out there for a while, and the price may be A.J. Price and a first round pick in 2012, reports Ben Golliver at Eye on Basketball.
Indiana, the source said, is hesitant to part with a first round pick, given the quality and depth of this year’s draft pool as well as Crawford’s contract situation.
Crawford has a player option for next season that he is expected to exercise because he wants to test the free agent market. Whoever trades for him is essentially getting a two-month rental — is that really worth a first round pick.
Kaman also would be a rental in that he is in the last year of his contract, but the Pacers are interested reports Pacers beat writer Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star.
Center Chris Kaman still sits at top of the list for Pacers, but they will not give up a 1st rd pick for his expiring contract
It’s always about the picks, isn’t it?
Keep an eye on the Pacers as the deadline nears. We’ll see if they decide they need to part with that first round pick or not.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 10
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 22
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36