Mar 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This is why the league needs to get out of the business of owning the Hornets fast, things like this get messy.
It has been assumed that one of the guys that would certainly get moved at the trade deadline is Chris Kaman of the Hornets — they took him out of the lineup earlier this season to move him, then re-inserted him to showcase his skills. It’s worked, he’s looked good and there is growing interest in him.
But wait. Now Mike Dunleavy may not want to trade him.
Why should we care? Because Mike Dunleavy is part of the ownership group in the lead to purchase the Hornets and keep them in New Orleans. And because of that he may have some sway over what the Hornets do at the trade deadline. So reports Hoopsworld.
Sources close to the situation say Dunleavy will be actively involved in running the team when and if the deal closes and that he wants Kaman and Eric Gordon on the roster….
Sources say Dunleavy feels like he can get both of his former players signed to new deals, so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out because Chris Kaman was viewed as someone who would absolutely be moved, now that certainty is not so clear.
There are rumors the Hornets may move Eric Gordon at the deadline, too. They’d be foolish to do that. But the Hornets need to rebuild and if Kaman can bring back picks and young pieces they should pull the trigger. We can debate the merits of that, but allowing a guy from the outside to make trade calls… it just feels weird. In part because it is Dunleavy.
More than anything, the Louisiana legislature needs to vote on the new lease deal for the Hornets (something that could happen next week) and then the league needs to sell the team. The longer they own it, the more messy situations like this one come up.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32