Mar 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This is why the league needs to get out of the business of owning the Hornets fast, things like this get messy.
It has been assumed that one of the guys that would certainly get moved at the trade deadline is Chris Kaman of the Hornets — they took him out of the lineup earlier this season to move him, then re-inserted him to showcase his skills. It’s worked, he’s looked good and there is growing interest in him.
But wait. Now Mike Dunleavy may not want to trade him.
Why should we care? Because Mike Dunleavy is part of the ownership group in the lead to purchase the Hornets and keep them in New Orleans. And because of that he may have some sway over what the Hornets do at the trade deadline. So reports Hoopsworld.
Sources close to the situation say Dunleavy will be actively involved in running the team when and if the deal closes and that he wants Kaman and Eric Gordon on the roster….
Sources say Dunleavy feels like he can get both of his former players signed to new deals, so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out because Chris Kaman was viewed as someone who would absolutely be moved, now that certainty is not so clear.
There are rumors the Hornets may move Eric Gordon at the deadline, too. They’d be foolish to do that. But the Hornets need to rebuild and if Kaman can bring back picks and young pieces they should pull the trigger. We can debate the merits of that, but allowing a guy from the outside to make trade calls… it just feels weird. In part because it is Dunleavy.
More than anything, the Louisiana legislature needs to vote on the new lease deal for the Hornets (something that could happen next week) and then the league needs to sell the team. The longer they own it, the more messy situations like this one come up.
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 15
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70