Mar 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT
This is why the league needs to get out of the business of owning the Hornets fast, things like this get messy.
It has been assumed that one of the guys that would certainly get moved at the trade deadline is Chris Kaman of the Hornets — they took him out of the lineup earlier this season to move him, then re-inserted him to showcase his skills. It’s worked, he’s looked good and there is growing interest in him.
But wait. Now Mike Dunleavy may not want to trade him.
Why should we care? Because Mike Dunleavy is part of the ownership group in the lead to purchase the Hornets and keep them in New Orleans. And because of that he may have some sway over what the Hornets do at the trade deadline. So reports Hoopsworld.
Sources close to the situation say Dunleavy will be actively involved in running the team when and if the deal closes and that he wants Kaman and Eric Gordon on the roster….
Sources say Dunleavy feels like he can get both of his former players signed to new deals, so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out because Chris Kaman was viewed as someone who would absolutely be moved, now that certainty is not so clear.
There are rumors the Hornets may move Eric Gordon at the deadline, too. They’d be foolish to do that. But the Hornets need to rebuild and if Kaman can bring back picks and young pieces they should pull the trigger. We can debate the merits of that, but allowing a guy from the outside to make trade calls… it just feels weird. In part because it is Dunleavy.
More than anything, the Louisiana legislature needs to vote on the new lease deal for the Hornets (something that could happen next week) and then the league needs to sell the team. The longer they own it, the more messy situations like this one come up.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 0
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 13
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 0
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 35
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 28
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22