Derrick Rose is just like you — sick of Dwight Howard talk

Mar 8, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT

Dwight Howard Derrick Rose Getty Images

Are you sick of all the Dwight Howard rumors and talk?

Derrick Rose is.

Many Bulls fans have an odd obsession with Howard — they are offended Chicago is not on his list of preferred destinations because they see a Rose/Howard pairing as a cornerstone that can contend with the Heat. They see Howard as afraid of joining another superstar or the cold weather or whatever and they are proud of their city like few others. They don’t get how he could consider the terrible Nets better than the contender Bulls.

It has led to a wild amount of Howard to the Bulls talk. And Rose is sick of it, as reported at ESPNChicago.com.

“It’s definitely getting old where I’m sick and tired of hearing it,” Rose said Thursday night before the Bulls faced the Magic at the United Center. “Like I’ve said, this city speaks for itself. Chicago, marketing wise, is a great city. If someone chooses to come here, they definitely could, but I’m cool with the teammates that I have.

“We have a winning record. It’s not like we have to change anything. But it’s not up to me, it’s up to the front office so if they make a decision, it’s up to them.”

As some of you know, before I came to NBC to run this blog I ran a Lakers blog. My advice to Bulls fans is what I said to Lakers fans for years:

Enjoy this. Savor this. Don’t get spoiled by your success. Don’t wish for what you don’t have, love what you do have. Teams like this that play amazing defense don’t come around often enough. Players like Derrick Rose don’t grace your stage often enough. Soak in these moments, don’t live for what might be.

Let go of Dwight Howard and enjoy your title contender.

1. tampajoey - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Dwight Howard is a prima donna drama queen. If Dwight Howard played football he’d be Brett Favre.

• blueintown - Mar 9, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Most football teams would have loved to have had Brett Favre on their team.

2. bearsandjazz - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

What’s sad is this guy’s on a team who’s 3rd in their conference and he’s still dying to get out. Loyalty in this league is rare! Yes it’s an issue in all sports but the NBA version is just getting ridiculous. Wonder how much better they would be if his trade talk wasn’t an issue.

3. canehouse - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM

He has the right to leave if he chooses so… however he is not handling it like a professional… he is a better person than that! That’s the mystery with it?! He certainly put on a show tonight!

4. pudgalvin - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Then Derrick is lucky he didn’t have to listen to the broadcast of the game tonight. You’ve got the Bulls playing great (I know they laid an egg tonight, tired legs and Kyle Korver played more like, I don’t know, someone that always misses wide open three’s instead of makes them), Derrick Rose playing out of his mind for the last 2 weeks, and a game between 2 of the top 3 teams in the east, and we get treated to two and a half hours of Dwight Howard trade talk.

That being said, I think Bulls fans are offended, but we are also perfectly fine with our team. This is a fanbase that had reservations about giving up Loul Deng for Kobe Bryant a few years back, so most people don’t want to see guys like Deng, Noah and Taj shipped out. We freakin love those guys. We might not be good enough to beat the Heat, but we get to watch a team that plays themselves stupid every single night along with one of the best basketball players on the planet that is just starting to come into his own. I think most of us are pretty happy with that.

• blueintown - Mar 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I’d rather they beat the Heat.

• pudgalvin - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Well, you and me both. But does a lineup of Rose, Howard, brewer, Boozer and Turkelu with a thin, thin bench and no cap room make them better than the Heat? I have my doubts.

• blueintown - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Fair enough. But if you’re asking me if I like that lineup better along with a thinner bench, the answer is unequivocally yes. Especially in a seven game series. The Bulls’ depth is a tremendous asset in the regular season (especially this particular season), but depth doesn’t mean anything come playoff time. Derrick Rose is phenomenal, he’s the best point guard in the game. But there are just natural, unavoidable limitations when your best player (and only truly great player) is 6’3″. Especially when the Heat have a guy who is 6’9″ that can absolutely shut him down.

• pudgalvin - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Very good point. I think my biggest worry, though, is who’s guarding Lebron? Deng can’t stop him, but he’s one of the few guys that can slow him down. And one of things that makes the Bulls defense so effective is being able to run Taj and Omar of the bench. The overall talent on the team would probably be better, but I think they lose a lot of their defense, even with Dwight Howard in the mix.

5. glink123 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Howard is a loser. Just another college-skipping hood-rat who views basketball as a part-time hobby. I can’t stand athletes who think they have more charisma than they actually do. Howard is at the top if that list. The fake smiling. The constant “look at me, see how funny I am” attitude. I hate the piece of shart.

• adamthompson24 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

You need help…hating someone you’ve never met has gotta be up there when it comes to having issues..seriously, think about it

6. asublimeday - Mar 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Bulls fans don’t care about Howard. Just because you say it doesn’t make it true.

7. africanballer - Mar 9, 2012 at 2:30 AM

D-Rose is right, he and the bulls are not desperate

8. gohard216 - Mar 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM

@glink123 what makes him a hood rat because he didnt go to college? if you check his background he grew up in a good environment his dad a state trooper mom went to morris brown college. his highschool is best in the nation with education and sports. so why he a hood rat?

9. gmsingh - Mar 9, 2012 at 6:55 AM

When did “best record in the NBA” come to mean “needs improvement”?

• raidmagic - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM

AS soon as you get content you quit getting better.

• gmsingh - Mar 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Sure, except changing the roster isn’t always the answer.

10. florida727 - Mar 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Despite my “handler”, I’m not an Orlando fan. I grew up in Chicago and have been a Bulls fan forever, even covered them for a sports radio station in town for one year. Think about how fortunate we’ve been. First, we get Jordan, at least for now arguably the greatest to ever play. Now we get Rose, a once-in-a-generation player who ultimately might join the GOAT conversation (still a ways to go on that obviously). And Howard thinks we’re going to cash in all the chips for him? Defense and dunks. Other than that, he’s overrated.

• blueintown - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I don’t recall Howard ever demanding the Bulls “cash in all their chips for him”. In fact, they aren’t even one of his preferred destinations. Regardless, think of your final point for a second. Think real hard. “Defense and dunks. Other than that, he’s overrated.” What would you like your center to do other then play defense and dunk? All Derrick Rose does is score and pass. Should they trade him? As for Howard, I’ll take his twenty-one points a night of dunks, and fifteen rebounds and two blocks worth of defense. I’ll take his three straight defensive POY awards. Seriously. Think about this stuff.

11. philtration - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Thanks for the advice about how us Bulls fans should not get spoiled by their success, how teams that play amazing defense don’t come around very often and how a player like Derrick Rose does not grace your stage very often.
    This is all so new to us.

We have never seen any great teams, great players, great defense or title contenders here in Chicago before.
    We just don’t know what a real NBA team looks like here so thank you for your wisdom.

12. rodge1 - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I think Derrick Rose is an amazing player and teammate. I find myself wondering why he has been so open to complain about everything publicly this season. Again, I think he is a top-5 player in NBA but his whining is getting old too. I agree, Howard should shut up and play out his contract. Rose should take a page out of his own play book and shut up too. One of his biggest appeals last year was that he was humble. Not so much this year.

• chitownmatt - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Rodge,
      Have you actually read his comments? He evades every question and pretty much says, “I’m happy with my teammates, and any roster changes are upto the front office.” He is usually one sentence away from, “STOP ASKING ME STUPID QUESTIONS!!!” but he is smart enough to hold his tongue.
      If you are tired of hearing about D-Rose, you are really just tired of the media trying to make stories out of the thin air he gives them.

• mckaymatt - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

chitownmatt, I agree that it’s the media trying to make stories out of thin air…it’s getting ridiculous the stories that are showing up on espn…anything these guys say or do is immediately twisted 5 different ways, stop trying to read into everything…sometimes there is no “meaning” other than what the person literally said.

13. rodge1 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

chitownmatt,

That is a great point. I’m sure the media is mostly to blame. But I still can’t help to feel like Rose is bitter from his answers to certain questions. I can respect that he’s angry after losing to the Heat last year. Whining about other teams, players, or dancing isn’t the way to improve the Bull’s success. Just saying

14. iowahbr - Mar 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Rose needs to rethink this. Last night’s Magic game was just a classic example of what will happened to the Bulls in the later rounds of this year’s play-offs although playing Boozer at center last night worked for a while on offense.

Against a team with a strong center or strong forward wall Rose will have difficulty on some drives and when his jump shot is off the Bulls will lag. Hamilton is just too old to make a real contribution at the 2 guard spot and beside Rose the Bulls will not be able to get the points they need to keep up with the Heat. Same outcome as last year. 10 times a game with Noah and the ball at the top of the key with no one to go to and limited jump shooting ability will kill them although the Bulls will continue to win most/almost all their games against journey-man NBA teams.

I don’t think Howard is the answer but neither is Rip and the trade deadline approaches. Rose is a great player but can’t do it alone aginst top caliber teams. You can take the preceding 183 words and seal then until the playoffs.

15. 16x8equal49ers - Mar 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Perhaps renting Kaman could be good for a championship push, Howard is unlikey to go to Bulls, it’s like the rumor that went around when LeBron & Wade were free agents.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches