Mar 7, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Welcome to the NBA, Ricky Rubio.
And welcome to having good players again, Minnesota Timberwolves.
When you have a good player like Rubio, other teams will target him and do what they can to knock him off his game. Literally, if they can. Other teams are finding that when Rubio has space he picks them apart so they are trying to take that space away from him and be physical with the thin rookie.
And the Timberwolves think it has gotten out of hand, reports Jerry Zgoda at the Star-Tribune.
Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn said the team has sent video to the NBA, seeking to call attention to what Kahn and the team’s coaches believe are opponents being overly physical with rookie guard Ricky Rubio….
“All our young guys are learning that, Ricky especially,” coach Rick Adelman said about opposing defenses adjusting to stop the Wolves’ offense. “They’re putting bigger guys on him…They’re beating the hell out of him right now. The league has figured out you have to be physical with him. And he’s kind of learning on the fly.’’
Look, this is the game in the NBA — other teams have found what they think is the best way to stop Rubio and the rookie isn’t getting a lot of borderline calls. There’s not a lot of sympathy here. In the NBA other teams will adjust to you and your weaknesses, what matters is how you adjust back. It’s like a young baseball pitcher called up from the minor leagues — he might have some early success, but once teams get a look at his stuff hitters will adjust. Then it is on him to make the next adjustment to keep hitters off balance.
Rubio, it’s your move.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0