Mar 7, 2012, 1:12 PM EDT
Welcome to the NBA, Ricky Rubio.
And welcome to having good players again, Minnesota Timberwolves.
When you have a good player like Rubio, other teams will target him and do what they can to knock him off his game. Literally, if they can. Other teams are finding that when Rubio has space he picks them apart so they are trying to take that space away from him and be physical with the thin rookie.
And the Timberwolves think it has gotten out of hand, reports Jerry Zgoda at the Star-Tribune.
Wolves president of basketball operations David Kahn said the team has sent video to the NBA, seeking to call attention to what Kahn and the team’s coaches believe are opponents being overly physical with rookie guard Ricky Rubio….
“All our young guys are learning that, Ricky especially,” coach Rick Adelman said about opposing defenses adjusting to stop the Wolves’ offense. “They’re putting bigger guys on him…They’re beating the hell out of him right now. The league has figured out you have to be physical with him. And he’s kind of learning on the fly.’’
Look, this is the game in the NBA — other teams have found what they think is the best way to stop Rubio and the rookie isn’t getting a lot of borderline calls. There’s not a lot of sympathy here. In the NBA other teams will adjust to you and your weaknesses, what matters is how you adjust back. It’s like a young baseball pitcher called up from the minor leagues — he might have some early success, but once teams get a look at his stuff hitters will adjust. Then it is on him to make the next adjustment to keep hitters off balance.
Rubio, it’s your move.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43