Mar 7, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
When it became clear that Kobe Bryant was not going to show to the media availability session on Friday of All-Star weekend he knew what that meant — he was getting fined. He later said he was sick, something nobody believed. For some players the money is worth it not to attend the stream of mandatory events for players that weekend.
The NBA fined the Los Angeles Lakers guard $40,000 for missing a news conference and a mandated charity appearance for NBA Cares during All-Star weekend in Orlando, according to a league official who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about it.
Did you hear that? It was the sound of Kobe, Pierce and Rondo yawning.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 17
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8