Mar 7, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
When it became clear that Kobe Bryant was not going to show to the media availability session on Friday of All-Star weekend he knew what that meant — he was getting fined. He later said he was sick, something nobody believed. For some players the money is worth it not to attend the stream of mandatory events for players that weekend.
The NBA fined the Los Angeles Lakers guard $40,000 for missing a news conference and a mandated charity appearance for NBA Cares during All-Star weekend in Orlando, according to a league official who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about it.
Did you hear that? It was the sound of Kobe, Pierce and Rondo yawning.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 2
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 20
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 31
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 45
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 33