Mar 7, 2012, 8:46 PM EST
Over the next week, Pau Gasol’s name is going to come up a lot in rumored trade talks. Most of which have little if any foundation, but the rumors will be out there.
Gasol said it doesn’t bother him anymore. He’s moved past it.
Here is what he said, via the Los Angeles Daily News.
“I don’t know what the state the moves and (team’s) intentions are right now,” Gasol said the other day when asked about his phone conversation with Kupchak. “I have an understanding where things are, where he stands and where I stand.
“(Kupchak) told me just play the way you play. Keep playing hard and keep playing well and then we’ll see. It was kind of calming to have that feedback.”
Except for a tough game against Miami (where LeBron James did a good job defensively on him), Gasol has shot over 54 percent in each of the last six games. He has looked like his old self.
The Lakers were ready to move Gasol before the season in a three-team deal that netted them Chris Paul. That made sense — Paul is one of the 10 or so transcendent superstar players in the NBA. Gasol is a 1A guy — the guy who needs to be paired with an elite guy.
However, the Lakers are just like the Celtics with Rajon Rondo (who also were willing to move that player for CP3) — unless you are getting a true superstar back, there is no point in trading the guy in all these rumors. The Lakers are not shopping Gasol around. If you want him, you better have a Dwight Howard level player to send back.
Gasol didn’t like seeing his name in all the rumors, but he has clearly learned to deal with it.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8