Mar 7, 2012, 8:46 PM EDT
Over the next week, Pau Gasol’s name is going to come up a lot in rumored trade talks. Most of which have little if any foundation, but the rumors will be out there.
Gasol said it doesn’t bother him anymore. He’s moved past it.
Here is what he said, via the Los Angeles Daily News.
“I don’t know what the state the moves and (team’s) intentions are right now,” Gasol said the other day when asked about his phone conversation with Kupchak. “I have an understanding where things are, where he stands and where I stand.
“(Kupchak) told me just play the way you play. Keep playing hard and keep playing well and then we’ll see. It was kind of calming to have that feedback.”
Except for a tough game against Miami (where LeBron James did a good job defensively on him), Gasol has shot over 54 percent in each of the last six games. He has looked like his old self.
The Lakers were ready to move Gasol before the season in a three-team deal that netted them Chris Paul. That made sense — Paul is one of the 10 or so transcendent superstar players in the NBA. Gasol is a 1A guy — the guy who needs to be paired with an elite guy.
However, the Lakers are just like the Celtics with Rajon Rondo (who also were willing to move that player for CP3) — unless you are getting a true superstar back, there is no point in trading the guy in all these rumors. The Lakers are not shopping Gasol around. If you want him, you better have a Dwight Howard level player to send back.
Gasol didn’t like seeing his name in all the rumors, but he has clearly learned to deal with it.
- Down 13 Rockets finally play with desperation, come back to beat Clippers, even series 1-1 3
- LeBron’s big night helps Cavs recover to tie series with Bulls 11
- Chris Paul out Game 2 against Rockets 1
- Report: Bulls’ Jimmy Butler wins Most Improved Player 5
- PBT Extra: Mike Conley changes series, but Warriors will start to hit shots again 4
- Last summer Blake Griffin talked to Tim Duncan about leadership 7
- PBT Extra: Will anyone step up and be third scorer for Cavaliers in Game 2? 19
- Doc Rivers on whether Chris Paul plays in Game 2 vs. Rockets: ‘Right now, I just don’t think so’ 4