Mar 7, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
While there is a lot of talk — from the likely rumors about Jamal Crawford being moved out of Portland to the ridiculous ones about Rajon Rondo being moved out of Boston — there is not a lot of action, and it feels like less buzz than normal just a week before the NBA trade deadline.
Dwight Howard and the bottleneck behind his trade out of Orlando — or not — is certainly a big part of that. Kelly Dwyer explains it all very well over at Ball Don’t Lie. A lot of teams are keeping their powder dry waiting to see how the Howard situation plays out (and how that changes the market) then they will make their moves.
But there is another factor — March Madness.
“Because of the lockout the calendar got pushed back,” Wojnarowski said. “Usually the trade deadline is in February. What is happening now is a lot of the front office executives, almost all of them, they are going to be out scouting March Madness and conference tournament games. And it is harder to put together deals when you are scouting three or four games a day, and you need to crunch numbers, and really be at your big (draft) board.
“And because of that a lot of executives believe we will not see trades until right up against the deadline on March 15.”
There usually is a nice rhythm to things — All-Star Game, trade deadline a week later then NCAA Conference tournaments a week after that. But like so many things, the NBA lockout (and the desire of owners and players to cram in 66 games) has blown that up.
I still think we will see a flurry of trades this year, but with Orlando waiting until the last minute and March Madness, expect things to hold off until next Tuesday and Wednesday. Those days are going to be crazy.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 0
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 5
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 55
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11