Mar 7, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Welcome to the semantics of the NBA trade deadline.
In the minds of NBA front office types, there is a dramatic difference between a team calling others and saying “I’d like to trade you Player X” versus just taking calls listing to other teams pitch you on getting Player X. For fans, that line seems fuzzy as does the logic behind it. Nonetheless, the line is there.
Which brings us to the Dallas Mavericks — owner Mark Cuban told the Dallas Morning News they are not making calls.
“We’re not calling anybody,” Cuban said before Tuesday’s game against New York. “I told Donnie (Nelson) to take calls, but we’re not making any calls. There you have it.”
Here’s where things get fuzzy. Everyone not living in Edinburgh of the Seas knows that the Mavericks would love to move Shawn Marion and his contract next year (allowing Dallas to make a serious free agent run at both Dwight Howard and Deron Williams). They may not be calling teams, but there are teams calling them talking trades that likely include Marion. So, they are not calling, but they are talking. Get it.
Still, don’t expect the Mavs to make a move — they have a good team that is a threat in the playoffs but maintains a shot at one or more major free agents this summer. They are not deviating from the script. But if you call them with something that fits in to said plan….
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games