Mar 6, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
UPDATE 4:08 EST: According to the Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell, Diaw and his agent have asked Bobcats GM Rod Higgins about a buyout:
Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins told the Observer Tuesday that he met with Diaw before the All-Star break about Diaw’s role and his expiring contract. Higgins said he has since had discussions with Diaw’s agent, Doug Neustadt.
“Boris and I had a meeting prior to the All-Star break, maybe Wednesday before. We talked about quite a few things,” Higgins said. “The issue with the buyout, it was raised on their side, from Doug. We haven’t gone down that road any further.”
The headline pretty much says it all, with France-based L’Equipe and Catch & Shoot today pretty much assuring that Team France captain Boris Diaw will make like the rat and leave the sinking ship known as the Charlotte Bobcats (4-31) within days.
Such a release from the ‘Cats would come six months before his contract with the team expires, yet Catch & Shoot reports that “The franchise would indeed be ready to release Diaw … if an agreement is reached between both parties.” Said Diaw to L’Equipe, “J’ai un choix à faire” (“I have a choice to make.”)
This would be a buyout where Diaw would take a little less money to go, but likely would get offers from other teams. Not for a lot of money, but it might be worth it to get off the Bobcats.
Diaw is a gifted and versatile player who could help a few non-horrible teams if they were willing to take a risk on him, but Diaw’s has been inconsistent ever since his breakout season in Phoenix, thanks in no small part to his issues with motivation and conditioning.
This season, Diaw has struggled as a member of the 4-31 Bobcats, and is averaging 7.7 points and 4.4 assists per game this season on 41.4%/27.1%/63.0%.
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 0
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 33
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 17
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11