Mar 6, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:08 EST: According to the Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell, Diaw and his agent have asked Bobcats GM Rod Higgins about a buyout:
Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins told the Observer Tuesday that he met with Diaw before the All-Star break about Diaw’s role and his expiring contract. Higgins said he has since had discussions with Diaw’s agent, Doug Neustadt.
“Boris and I had a meeting prior to the All-Star break, maybe Wednesday before. We talked about quite a few things,” Higgins said. “The issue with the buyout, it was raised on their side, from Doug. We haven’t gone down that road any further.”
The headline pretty much says it all, with France-based L’Equipe and Catch & Shoot today pretty much assuring that Team France captain Boris Diaw will make like the rat and leave the sinking ship known as the Charlotte Bobcats (4-31) within days.
Such a release from the ‘Cats would come six months before his contract with the team expires, yet Catch & Shoot reports that “The franchise would indeed be ready to release Diaw … if an agreement is reached between both parties.” Said Diaw to L’Equipe, “J’ai un choix à faire” (“I have a choice to make.”)
This would be a buyout where Diaw would take a little less money to go, but likely would get offers from other teams. Not for a lot of money, but it might be worth it to get off the Bobcats.
Diaw is a gifted and versatile player who could help a few non-horrible teams if they were willing to take a risk on him, but Diaw’s has been inconsistent ever since his breakout season in Phoenix, thanks in no small part to his issues with motivation and conditioning.
This season, Diaw has struggled as a member of the 4-31 Bobcats, and is averaging 7.7 points and 4.4 assists per game this season on 41.4%/27.1%/63.0%.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49