Mar 6, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:08 EST: According to the Charlotte Observer’s Rick Bonnell, Diaw and his agent have asked Bobcats GM Rod Higgins about a buyout:
Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins told the Observer Tuesday that he met with Diaw before the All-Star break about Diaw’s role and his expiring contract. Higgins said he has since had discussions with Diaw’s agent, Doug Neustadt.
“Boris and I had a meeting prior to the All-Star break, maybe Wednesday before. We talked about quite a few things,” Higgins said. “The issue with the buyout, it was raised on their side, from Doug. We haven’t gone down that road any further.”
The headline pretty much says it all, with France-based L’Equipe and Catch & Shoot today pretty much assuring that Team France captain Boris Diaw will make like the rat and leave the sinking ship known as the Charlotte Bobcats (4-31) within days.
Such a release from the ‘Cats would come six months before his contract with the team expires, yet Catch & Shoot reports that “The franchise would indeed be ready to release Diaw … if an agreement is reached between both parties.” Said Diaw to L’Equipe, “J’ai un choix à faire” (“I have a choice to make.”)
This would be a buyout where Diaw would take a little less money to go, but likely would get offers from other teams. Not for a lot of money, but it might be worth it to get off the Bobcats.
Diaw is a gifted and versatile player who could help a few non-horrible teams if they were willing to take a risk on him, but Diaw’s has been inconsistent ever since his breakout season in Phoenix, thanks in no small part to his issues with motivation and conditioning.
This season, Diaw has struggled as a member of the 4-31 Bobcats, and is averaging 7.7 points and 4.4 assists per game this season on 41.4%/27.1%/63.0%.
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 0
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 19
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 7
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 49
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 29
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (79)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay