Mar 6, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
This isn’t going to help his trade value. Not that there was a whole lot to begin with.
The Raptors are going to try to either move the veteran guard in some transaction or release him in the next week and a half, according to a team source.
Carter served his purpose in a 37-game stint with the Raptors, providing some veteran leadership and filling in as an emergency third-string point guard…. The source said there was no one moment that precipitated the move – Carter’s missed the last three games with a stomach muscle problem – and that Carter had done what was expected of him in helping “change the culture” around the team.
The Raptors are not going to the playoffs (obviously) and this was really about getting younger and giving the team’s young players a chance. The Raptors are all about the future, and while having a veteran professional in a locker room can be a big advantage in teaching a team to prepare (you hear me, Wizards) the Raptors think Carter has served his purpose.
If he is traded, it will not be for much. But for some team a second round pick may be a fair price.
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 6
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 1
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 15
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 23
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 19