Mar 6, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
What that really means is they are going to trade Chris Kaman before the deadline.
The question is where. One possible answer is Indiana, according to the Indianapolis Star.
The Pacers have an All-Star center in Roy Hibbert but the depth drop off behind him is pretty steep. Jeff Foster was to be the man but he can’t stay healthy (played in just 11 games this season). That leaves Lou Amundson to masqurade as a five even though he is really a four.
The Pacers have $14.5 million in cap space so they can absorb Kaman’s contract easily (and they only have 13 guys on the roster). Kaman is in the final year of a $14 million deal, so he does not weigh down their books going forward.
The only question is how hard a deal the Hornets will drive and if the Pacers will pay the price. The Hornets shopped Kaman around before the All-Star break but were asking far more in return than any team was willing to pay. Since he has been put into the lineup Kaman has played well, but he still remains a rental and the Pacers have a starting center, so they are not going to give up much to get him.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29