One potential landing spot for Chris Kaman: Indiana Pacers

Mar 6, 2012, 10:32 AM EST

Chris Kaman, Nene AP

Officially, the New Orleans Hornets “remain open” to trading Chris Kaman, reports the Times-Picayune.

What that really means is they are going to trade Chris Kaman before the deadline.

The question is where. One possible answer is Indiana, according to the Indianapolis Star.

The Pacers have an All-Star center in Roy Hibbert but the depth drop off behind him is pretty steep. Jeff Foster was to be the man but he can’t stay healthy (played in just 11 games this season). That leaves Lou Amundson to masqurade as a five even though he is really a four.

The Pacers have $14.5 million in cap space so they can absorb Kaman’s contract easily (and they only have 13 guys on the roster). Kaman is in the final year of a $14 million deal, so he does not weigh down their books going forward.

The only question is how hard a deal the Hornets will drive and if the Pacers will pay the price. The Hornets shopped Kaman around before the All-Star break but were asking far more in return than any team was willing to pay. Since he has been put into the lineup Kaman has played well, but he still remains a rental and the Pacers have a starting center, so they are not going to give up much to get him.

1. Justin - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I didn’t realize how the Pacers have quietly put together an awesome roster as such a low cost. Pretty impressive. The addition of Kaman would help them a ton too.

2. bparmalee - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Pacers fans would like Kaman but they are not going to get Paul George….which is what they were rumored to be holding out for. The Hornets can have Tyler “fake hustle” Hansbrough but that’s about all we can part with for a rental. Dahnttay Jones or AJ Price could also be expendable but after moving Rush we are a little short but if Price and Hansbrough gets us Kaman then good deal. At best we can make the Eastern Conference Finals… but if we get the wrong seed we could go out first round so it’s not like Kaman makes the Pacers a contender. I would be more eager if I thought we had a chance to sign him next year but people always over pay for centers.

• metalhead65 - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

fake hustle? you can’t be a pacer fan and say that about hansbrough. you must not watch how he has played since they got rid of that idiot obrien and he was allowed to play. price or jones fine but no way do they give up the guy who sparks the second team when he comes in.

• bparmalee - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I watch every game…. I watch him take jumpers when he should be the 5th scoring option… I watch him jump out and chase guards while his guy stands open under the rim and I watch him shoot .388 as a “power forward”…. thats right 39% rounding up. Just because he runs around and the refs give him foul calls… that doesn’t mean he is hustling. He is terrible at blocking out his man and still sometimes finds himself standing at the free throw line clapping for the ball..though he has done that less. But “He can make that shot…. thats his shot!!” Right? He shoots 39%…. thats obviously not his shot. Last year he shot .465 so it covered up a lot of his other problems but he needs to at least block out. People rack up the o-boards against him. His stats are only decent because refs still blow the whistle when he yacks up a shot wildly but without his 4+ free throw attempts per game he couldnt stay on the court. I am a Pacers fan… I am not a Tyler fan…. the two are not mutually exclusive. Tyler is not Jeff Foster….. when he is healthy he hustles. Tyler stats again 39% 9.3pts (4+ free throw attempts) 4.9 rebounds oh and 0.2 blocks from your power forward.

• zeedoubleyou - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Eastern Conference Semis is more like it.

CHI would have the best two players on the court and MIA would have the best three. Talent almost always wins out in a 7 game series.

• bparmalee - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It depends on the draw. My pacers cant beat MIA and I dont think we can beat CHI but that depends on how much you guys play Boozer. If you play Boozer enough we have a shot and I think there are other teams that CHI could lose to before we play. D.Rose is awesome but sometimes the only other Bull that shows up is Noah. I also think if Carmelo is being aggressive we would lose to the Knicks but if he is shooting jumpers then I think we can beat them. Like I said we could make the East Finals if we got the right draw but we could also go out in the first round.

• zeedoubleyou - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Enter the awkward moment where I say I’m a MIA fan. I just didn’t want to look like a homer by listing them first.

I really like your guys’ team and would prefer CHI to draw you first because you’re so scrappy. Any 7 game series could wind up feeling like 9-10 games.

• juanandonly24 - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I could see the Pacers upsetting the Bulls. If the Bulls aren’t healthy, they can run into some trouble with that really deep Pacers team. Plus the Bulls are pretty one-dimensional on offense if anyone but Rose decides to show up. Before anyone gets mad at my comment, I used the word “upsetting” because the Bulls are still the better team and will most likely win the series.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches