Mar 6, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
The “cheap” seats at Madison Square Garden are about to get less so.
Last year ticket prices for New York Knicks games jumped a whopping 49 percent as the renovation of Madison Square Garden’s lower bowl (combined with a team actually worth seeing) changed the economics of one of the NBA’s legendary buildings. James Dolan could charge more, so he did.
The cheap seats saw an increase, too, but they will see the bulk of this year’s 4.9 percent increase, reports Newsday.
The increases primarily will affect seats in the upper bowl, which will be the focus this coming offseason of the second phase of Madison Square Garden’s three-year renovation.
Among the changes in the upper seating areas will be more amenities and new sightlines created by increasing the incline of the upper bowl by 17 degrees.
Call it supply and demand or the rich getting richer (both are right), but if last year’s price increases didn’t drive away fans no way this one will. Because Jeremy Lin is totally worth it.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?