Kidd says Mavericks’ title should mean more respect from refs

Mar 6, 2012, 12:31 PM EST

New York Knicks point guard Jeremy Lin defends Dallas Mavericks point guard Jason Kidd in the second half of their NBA basketball game at Madison Square Garden in New York Reuters

I just expect more out of the champions, out of a veteran team like this.

After another Dallas lost on Monday night where they ran some terrible execution on plays in the final couple of minutes, Jason Kidd pulled out the card most used by struggling teams without a good answer — it’s the referees’ fault.

From ESPNDallas.com.

“We don’t get the benefit of the whistle,” Kidd said. “I don’t think we’re looked upon as champions, but that’s a whole other story. Dirk (Nowitzki) should live at the line if they would call it the way it’s supposed to be. But, he doesn’t.”

Every time I hear a player say this, I flash back to a coach from my youth when we complained the referees cost our school the game — “if you guys hadn’t played like s— in the third quarter it wouldn’t have come down to a referees call. You left it in his hands.”

Come on Mavs, you are better than this. Dallas isn’t losing games because of the referees. They lost this one because after Nowitzki knocked down a few threes in the final quarter Oklahoma City focused their defense on denying him the ball and making someone else beat them, and the result was a Nowitzki turnover followed by two sloppy possessions that netted no points. OKC finished the game on an 8-0 run and that was not the referees — they played better.

Dallas settles for jump shots a lot and those teams do not get the calls like a team that attacks the rim — such as a team with Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant. If Dallas wants to get more calls, they have to earn them, not expect them because they won a ring.

1. j0shi - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Of course it’s “weak stuff”, but Thunder and Mavs average same amount of FGA in Paint/Rim, OKC gets ~2 more foul calls per 100, shoots ~7 more FTs.

More: http://tinyurl.com/86acxr3

2. imaduffer - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Champs to chumps, time to retire Jason.

3. cisco03 - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I hate the ref excuse, Jet screwed up the last couple of possessions but the free throw difference was pretty wide.

4. rawgator06 - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Blame the refs lol. Did you hear the Heat complaining about D-wade fouling out of the Lakers game? No, but you hear the joke named Jason Kidd complaining
    Heres Wade’s quote about the game
    “I don’t normally foul out,” Wade said. “I guess I had the red flag on me today. But you’re not going to get me to talk about the referees. I like my money in my pocket.”

• md23rewlz - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I like that you cite a quote of Wade basically saying, “I hated the calls, I shouldn’t have fouled out, if you were to get me to talk about the refs I would be fined because I have many things to say, but wink wink not going to say them wink wink.”

Blaming the refs is a cop-out excuse, but that doesn’t mean there’s no merit to it. Varies from game to game, but if we’re going to talk about THIS game, OKC shot 33 free throws, Dallas 10. A portion of that is that Dallas is a jump shooting team, but at the same time, a jump shooting team with a giant German who the opposing teams are constantly pushing and trying to move out of position. I think Dirk, much like any big guy, doesn’t get the calls he should all the time. Because he’s not always banging down low, the fouls (which are still fouls) aren’t always as obvious. More concerning for the outcome of the game was that the refs blatantly missed several calls. Harden’s continuation was a bad call, as was the final foul that resulted in Ibaka’s free throws. If Dallas executes better, Dallas wins, but if OKC doesn’t benefit from that continuation call, Dallas probably wins, too. When you’re a good team playing at home, hey, you sometimes get calls. It happens. That’s the benefit of having a great crowd. It’s a tough loss for the Mavs on a lot of fronts, though. Oh well.

5. rooney24 - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

While the refs do suck more often than they should, it is a cop-out excuse.

One of the worst things about the NBA is the whole mentality that certain players should get a call where other players don’t. Kobe gets that call while a rookie shouldn’t. That is a bunch of crap. Fouls should be called the same for every player. If the better players actually are better, they shouldn’t need the refs to help them out.

• md23rewlz - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:43 PM

In a vacuum, you are right, but if that actually occurred, we would be seeing a lot of good players sitting on the bench because they are in foul trouble. I personally would prefer that the refs turn a slight blind eye to the good players, if only because I’d prefer that Kobe etc remain on the floor. On a technical level, it’s bad refereeing, but on a level of flow and continuity, it helps the game. I don’t think any of us actually want to watch Random Bench Guy for an extended amount of time. We watch and pay to see great players play.

6. brianbosworthisstonecold - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

The wife beater shouldn’t get any good calls goin his way.

7. obijuan13 - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m sorry but IMHO Dirk should be given the ESPY Vlade Divac best actor award for flops.

8. sunlightpianist - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM

This time Kidd is correct, the bad calls decided the game. Mahinmi had a great block, no foul, and on the other side they didn´t call a clear push on Dirks arm.

I don´t think that big jump-shooters are not fouled as much, the fouls are just not hard ones, but a little contact or a slight push may be enough to bring the player out of balance and the shot to the rim. Collison played a lot of dirty defense with contact and pushes against Dirk for some time, as in last years PO.

OKC got 9 of their last 12 points with free-throws, it’s easier to find the plays knowing that you get the calls.

But I don´t care if someone is famous or champ. A foul is a foul, and if refs see not the same on both sides, it takes some fun away from watching. So I don´t agree that the champs or famous players should get credit, but Dirk in many games did not get the calls he should get.

But what is Dallas talking during last-minute timeouts. If the result is crap so often, they should better play through quick. At least the other team would have no time to think too.

9. jimeejohnson - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

There’s a Celtics fan who finishes every post with this:

“Rigged 37 – 17″ referring to the disparity in fouls between the Celtics and the Lakers. Blaming the refs is strategic as a player, but signifies a sore loser in a fan. A player just wants to try and influence the refs, which should not even be possible but is in this league. A fan who whines about the refs cannot accept losing, which is as much a part of life as winning. Ask Charley Sheen or Charles Barkley: both will tell you. Many Celtics fans refuse to accept the whining, calling out these folks for their lack of sportsmanship and integrity. You can lose with dignity or you can whine!

10. losangelasbasketball - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Using the media to influence the refs is done by everybody…. If your opponents are doing it to gain an edge… Then u would be dumb not to also….

11. africanballer - Mar 7, 2012 at 6:05 AM

How about something like:

‘We know we’re not playing at last season’s level but we’ll do everything to turn it around come playoff time’

that would sound more veteran-like.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches