Kenneth Faried works harder at his job than you do at yours

Mar 6, 2012, 6:59 PM EST

Kenneth Faried, Kurt Thomas AP

David Thorpe — Executive Director of the Pro Training Center and ESPN analyst — has a saying:

Energy is a skill.

You need to have an elite level skill — rebounding, shooting, defending — to really impact an NBA game. But hustle, being a true energy guy, can do that, too. A guy who just comes in and out works you for everything can change a game.

Meet Kenneth Faried.

The Nuggets rookie has doing just that the past few weeks for the Nuggets — putting up 20 points (on 7 of 9 shooting) and 12 rebounds against the Kings Monday night, his fourth double-double in seven games. He comes in and just works harder than anyone else on the floor. He can rebound and will challenge you for the ball you think you own, he loves to run to the rim either in transition or off a pick, and he is doing it with more energy than anyone else.

It’s what makes him captivating to watch. It’s what the Nuggets hoped they were getting from Moorhead State. He’s fast becoming a fan favorite.

There is a great breakdown of what he is doing right over at NBA Playbook.

With Faried, his limitless supply of vigor and mentality to attack every ball coming off the rim like it owes him money, fuel his rebounding prowess. The Denver rookie also excels at gathering in out-of-area rebounds, something that separates the elite from the merely good in that category. Against the Kings last night, six of his 12 rebounds (as well as eight of his 20 points) came in the last three minutes of regulation and overtime. About a handful of those dozen rebounds were of the esteemed out-of-area variety.

That is energy as a skill.

Go read the whole thing. Then go watch Faried play. It’s hard not to root for this guy. You just wish every guy in the NBA would play like this.

1. llfreedman - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

thank you for this! Faried has quickly become one of my favorite players in the league. It’s too bad he has to fight for minutes against Birdman, Nene, Mosgov, and Harrington. This guy is a flat out stud.

• digitalpoo - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Kurt. How the hell did you land this job?

2. sloiggles - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Right…if I made millions I’d work hard too…only thing is, I have to work harder than this guy or any other NBA player and barely be able to afford to attend one game a year. lucky us right?

• slopmcflop - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Coming to a sports website to complain about how easy professional athletes have it won’t garner you much sympathy. Know your audience.

3. sellahh - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

He’s a rookie, not a sophomore or a second-year player as you say. jesus

• savvybynature - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I think the title of this post was supposed to be “Faried works harder at his job than I do at mine.” At least I hope so, I work damn hard at my job (and was a high energy guy in my day on the court too). Kurt, stop projecting onto your readers.

4. 303bengalguy - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

ROOKIE…. get that part of it right. and shhhhhhhhh…. we like nobody knowing about him!

5. sellahh - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Holy irony. Faired sure does work at his job than Kurt does.

6. sellahh - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

*HARDER*

7. Justin - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I knew of this guy because he annoyed me to no end when we played the nuggets. And I don’t mean annoy as an insult. I kept thinking would the guy please run out of energy already… he never did.

8. plum13sec - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I like watching him play. I think hes the reason birdman is being shopped

9. monstoro15 - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Kurt forgot to mention Kenneth Faried can throw down a nasty jam.
    This guy is a flat out stud.

• rushbacker - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Kurt also neglected to mention that Faried has monster hops, which helps considerably with the rebounding.

10. jjordannba - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Picked him up on fantasy a few weeks ago, love his game

11. 00maltliquor - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Is he karate kicking Kurt Thomas in that picture!? Waaaaah!!!…

12. HitsDingers - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Actually, I’m pretty happy every guy doesn’t play like Faried…
    Let’s get back to bashing the best player in the L

13. the5thhorseman - Mar 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

“It’s what the Nuggets hoped they were getting from Moorhead State.” Well, they certainly didn’t get what they expected because Faried was the pride of Morehead State (in Kentucky)…

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches