Mar 6, 2012, 2:53 PM EST
It can’t be fun coming to work knowing that 15,000 people (or however many people are actually showing up for Wizards games now) are going to boo you. It would make you second-guess yourself.
Which is exactly what Andray Blatche said is happening after another Wizards loss Monday. He gets boos every time he pretty much touches the ball and it is getting to him. Check out the video above from CSNWashington.com, but here are the money quotes.
“It’s tough when you’re at home and people that are supposed to have your back don’t have your back. Instead of encouraging you to get better, they actually push you down and make you worse. In the long run, it’s not only hurting me, it’s hurting my teammates.
“That’s what I feel most upset about because I can’t help out and perform for my teammates, because I’m letting the crowd get into my head and making me second-guess, not let me be the player that I am,” he added. “It’s very frustrating. Hopefully, I’m just trying to fight to overcome it…
“Any time I’m touching the ball, I’m second-guessing. I’m trying to avoid the boos, just trying to play a perfect game so I don’t have to hear it and help my team win.”
That sucks, but that bed Blatche finds himself lying in now — and make no mistake, he made this bed himself. He is a player with a lot of promise and potential who not only has never lived up to it, he has regressed. He got a big deal and has not lived up to the promise. Wizards’ fans are taking their cue from an owner who says he wants to change things with this long-struggling franchise and they are not putting up with unprofessionalism any more.
It’s a bit of a mob mentality now, but it’s not something that is going to stop.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 5
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)