Andray Blatche says all the boos wearing on him, Wizards

Mar 6, 2012, 2:53 PM EST

It can’t be fun coming to work knowing that 15,000 people (or however many people are actually showing up for Wizards games now) are going to boo you. It would make you second-guess yourself.

Which is exactly what Andray Blatche said is happening after another Wizards loss Monday. He gets boos every time he pretty much touches the ball and it is getting to him. Check out the video above from CSNWashington.com, but here are the money quotes.

“It’s tough when you’re at home and people that are supposed to have your back don’t have your back. Instead of encouraging you to get better, they actually push you down and make you worse. In the long run, it’s not only hurting me, it’s hurting my teammates.

“That’s what I feel most upset about because I can’t help out and perform for my teammates, because I’m letting the crowd get into my head and making me second-guess, not let me be the player that I am,” he added. “It’s very frustrating. Hopefully, I’m just trying to fight to overcome it…

“Any time I’m touching the ball, I’m second-guessing. I’m trying to avoid the boos, just trying to play a perfect game so I don’t have to hear it and help my team win.”

That sucks, but that bed Blatche finds himself lying in now — and make no mistake, he made this bed himself. He is a player with a lot of promise and potential who not only has never lived up to it, he has regressed. He got a big deal and has not lived up to the promise. Wizards’ fans are taking their cue from an owner who says he wants to change things with this long-struggling franchise and they are not putting up with unprofessionalism any more.

It’s a bit of a mob mentality now, but it’s not something that is going to stop.

1. juanandonly24 - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

“He is a player with a lot of promise and potential who not only has never lived up to it, he has regressed”
    How about the Wizards actually get a competent GM and coaching staff that can develop players. Are you going to tell me now that Wall is a bust because he’s regressing as well? Matter of the fact is the GM has done an awful job of putting pieces around young talent.

• limonadamas - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I don’t disagree with you about the Wizards’ management, but you have to admit.. Blatche is one of the least professional players in the NBA. He got paid and then stopped working hard. I predict that his next statistical jump will “just happen to coincide” with his next contract year.

The sad thing is that there are actually some real professionals on the Wizards. Too bad that the knuckleheads on the team always seem to overshadow them.

• juanandonly24 - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yeah fair enough, but I bet he’d be motivated to do at least SOMETHING if they weren’t the most laughably awful team in the league.

• khadeemw - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

the only reason that “statistical jump” didnt happen in previous years b4 his last pay was because he wasnt gettin the appropriate playing time

• kinggw - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I have to disagree. I dont think that Blatche stopped working hard. I think Wizards stink and he along with Young and McGee are easy targets because of past transgressions. Lack of professionalism isnt why the Wizards are bad, they are bad because they arent very talented and the pieces they do have dont fit. Its great that Booker and Singleton hustle all the time but they shouldnt be playing significant minutes because the coach cant control his team. Blatche has been a contributing factor to the Wizards’ woes, but this mess begins and ends with Ernie Grunfeld.

2. buckswayze - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Stop hanging out at Joesphine’s like you are an All-star and folks won’t boo you.

3. rockthered1286 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hey now… Charlotte is the most laughable team in the league!

Truly a shame though, and I don’t foresee management making a push to get any high profile players in here anytime soon to rekindle hope at all. They will be determined to build solely off of young talent but young prospective talent won’t put people in seats and pay the bills if they aren’t winning.

4. sellahh - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

What an unmotivated punk. How about doing something to stop the boos OTHER than complaining about it? I think this dude is lost case already tbh.

5. khadeemw - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

The boos are going a little too far now. I went to my first NBA game and I heard them booing Blatche everytime he touched the ball against the Cavs. How do you expect a fragile minded player to perform when people keep booing him. Even when he grabbed a rebound or hustled to be the first one back to stop a first break, where were the cheers. Leave the man alone. Yes, he is an underachiever, but at some point you have to let the man play.

6. tomtravis76 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

The fans don’t want to boo their own players, but Blatche just plays lazy, he doesn’t hustle and his aggressiveness is all but gone. Watching him play makes you wish NBA contracts were like the NFL contracts.

7. rwmilli - Mar 6, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Well you clearly don’t know anything about the NFL, you honestly think the same stuff doesn’t go on because of ” contracts ” if your a washington fan than this will be a perfect example for you, FAT Albert ! Either way I do understand the main part with incentives, but contracts won’t change players who are there for money…none the less I agree with him, you all BOO him but by doing so your booing the entire TEAM seeing as how there’s more than 1 person on a team…if you’ve played a sport then you’d know teams are family’s as he’s completely right everyone on that team is second guessing trying to play a perfect team, you wanna BOO them then stay at home cuz your better off there.

• khadeemw - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

exactly…why not boo John Wall because he cant shoot, why not boo Nick Young and Jordan Crawford becuase they have no conscience, why not boo McGee because he makes bonehead mistakes…matter of fact while ur at it boo Ted Lenosis the owner because the sound system sucks…there are a lot of things that are wrong with the Wizards dont take it out on just Blatche…if ur a Wizards fan then ur responsibility as a fan attending the game is to do whatever u can as a fan in order to enhance the performance of ur team and its players…booind Dray obviously isnt productive so please get off the man’s wang

8. rwmilli - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Perfect game *

9. stayhigh_247 - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:05 PM

dude sucks! “no soup for you!” they should send his ass to the D League for a few years…

10. 700levelvet - Mar 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

He sucks, Wall sucks, the team sucks……And they think they shouldn’t get boo’d?……..Seriously….Oh ok, maybe a few cheers will actually make you have some dedication, work ethic and responsibility, give me a break…The fact is, is that they made it to the NBA, and their family friends and possee’s think they are the greatest, but the people who actually are responsible for your MONEY, don’t……Be a freakin man and do something about it instead of whining like a 16 year old girl……..

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches