Mar 5, 2012, 3:49 PM EST
When we told you the Portland Trail Blazers might be looking to make big changes, we weren’t kidding.
With the Blazers (18-18) underachieving and the 12-year veteran having struggled to fit in this season, sources say he’s available. Crawford signed a two-year, $10 million deal on Dec. 15, but the second season is a player option and he plans to opt out this summer to retest the free agent market.
Jamal Crawford is one of the best sixth men in the league — a gunner who can come in off the bench and light up the scoreboard. That is how he became sixth-man of the year in Atlanta. But he was always a bit of an odd fit for the Blazers and defensive-minded coach Nate McMillan, and he’s not Brandon Roy. He seemed to do well early in the season as the Trail Blazers ran a lot to start the year, but as their pace has slowed he has not fit in as well or consistently. Even though he got moved into the starting lineup, which was more about how bad Felton has been playing than Crawford being a great fit.
There are a few teams out there who could use a scorer at the two — we’re looking at you, Clippers — and as this would be a short-term rental it might be a good fit. The only question is how much Portland wants back in a deal, teams are not going to give up a lot for a rental. There’s a good chance he stays in Portland the rest of this season and becomes a free agent next summer, but it is something to watch as the deadline approaches.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 18
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13