Mar 5, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
When we told you the Portland Trail Blazers might be looking to make big changes, we weren’t kidding.
With the Blazers (18-18) underachieving and the 12-year veteran having struggled to fit in this season, sources say he’s available. Crawford signed a two-year, $10 million deal on Dec. 15, but the second season is a player option and he plans to opt out this summer to retest the free agent market.
Jamal Crawford is one of the best sixth men in the league — a gunner who can come in off the bench and light up the scoreboard. That is how he became sixth-man of the year in Atlanta. But he was always a bit of an odd fit for the Blazers and defensive-minded coach Nate McMillan, and he’s not Brandon Roy. He seemed to do well early in the season as the Trail Blazers ran a lot to start the year, but as their pace has slowed he has not fit in as well or consistently. Even though he got moved into the starting lineup, which was more about how bad Felton has been playing than Crawford being a great fit.
There are a few teams out there who could use a scorer at the two — we’re looking at you, Clippers — and as this would be a short-term rental it might be a good fit. The only question is how much Portland wants back in a deal, teams are not going to give up a lot for a rental. There’s a good chance he stays in Portland the rest of this season and becomes a free agent next summer, but it is something to watch as the deadline approaches.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 11
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 11
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 32
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 25
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games