Mar 5, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
The Lakers desperately need a true point guard. The Trail Blazers have been very unhappy with Raymond Felton this season — mostly because he’s looked heavy, is shooting 36.8 percent, 24.6 percent from three, and his turnovers are up.
So while it may be odd to have two division rivals talking trade, the Lakers and Trail Blazers are indeed talking, reports CSNNW.com.
A league source has informed CSNNW.com that the Los Angeles Lakers and the Portland Trail Blazers have had “exploratory talks” regarding Trail Blazers’ guard Raymond Felton.
According to the source, talks have been ongoing for weeks and it is likely to involve Lakers’ guard Steve Blake in the deal.
Felton, when playing well, is a much better floor general and a guy who can break down a defense with penetration, which is exactly what the Lakers need at the point. They need someone besides Kobe Bryant who can create shots for himself and others on the perimeter.
He just hasn’t played anything like that this year. He has been benched by coach Nate McMillan and is not happy about it. There are some serious issues in the Trail Blazers locker room and it needs to be shaken up and the problems shipped out. If that is Felton….
Steve Blake is Steve Blake — not brilliant as a pure point guard but he can knock down threes and space the floor. Is that really enough for Felton?
Just something to watch. Any and every point guard on the market — Raymond Felton, Jose Calderon, anyone — the Lakers name will come up. With reason. It’s just a question of if they can get a deal done.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61