Mar 5, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
The Lakers desperately need a true point guard. The Trail Blazers have been very unhappy with Raymond Felton this season — mostly because he’s looked heavy, is shooting 36.8 percent, 24.6 percent from three, and his turnovers are up.
So while it may be odd to have two division rivals talking trade, the Lakers and Trail Blazers are indeed talking, reports CSNNW.com.
A league source has informed CSNNW.com that the Los Angeles Lakers and the Portland Trail Blazers have had “exploratory talks” regarding Trail Blazers’ guard Raymond Felton.
According to the source, talks have been ongoing for weeks and it is likely to involve Lakers’ guard Steve Blake in the deal.
Felton, when playing well, is a much better floor general and a guy who can break down a defense with penetration, which is exactly what the Lakers need at the point. They need someone besides Kobe Bryant who can create shots for himself and others on the perimeter.
He just hasn’t played anything like that this year. He has been benched by coach Nate McMillan and is not happy about it. There are some serious issues in the Trail Blazers locker room and it needs to be shaken up and the problems shipped out. If that is Felton….
Steve Blake is Steve Blake — not brilliant as a pure point guard but he can knock down threes and space the floor. Is that really enough for Felton?
Just something to watch. Any and every point guard on the market — Raymond Felton, Jose Calderon, anyone — the Lakers name will come up. With reason. It’s just a question of if they can get a deal done.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6