Mar 5, 2012, 10:32 AM EST
The Lakers desperately need a true point guard. The Trail Blazers have been very unhappy with Raymond Felton this season — mostly because he’s looked heavy, is shooting 36.8 percent, 24.6 percent from three, and his turnovers are up.
So while it may be odd to have two division rivals talking trade, the Lakers and Trail Blazers are indeed talking, reports CSNNW.com.
A league source has informed CSNNW.com that the Los Angeles Lakers and the Portland Trail Blazers have had “exploratory talks” regarding Trail Blazers’ guard Raymond Felton.
According to the source, talks have been ongoing for weeks and it is likely to involve Lakers’ guard Steve Blake in the deal.
Felton, when playing well, is a much better floor general and a guy who can break down a defense with penetration, which is exactly what the Lakers need at the point. They need someone besides Kobe Bryant who can create shots for himself and others on the perimeter.
He just hasn’t played anything like that this year. He has been benched by coach Nate McMillan and is not happy about it. There are some serious issues in the Trail Blazers locker room and it needs to be shaken up and the problems shipped out. If that is Felton….
Steve Blake is Steve Blake — not brilliant as a pure point guard but he can knock down threes and space the floor. Is that really enough for Felton?
Just something to watch. Any and every point guard on the market — Raymond Felton, Jose Calderon, anyone — the Lakers name will come up. With reason. It’s just a question of if they can get a deal done.
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 0
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)