Mar 5, 2012, 6:49 PM EDT
Better not use the word “interim” around him anymore.
Co-owner Joe Maloof said the other day the Kings did not plan to let coach Keith Smart go, they liked the job he had done since taking over seven games in for Paul Westphal as coach. Today that became official.
The team announced that they are keeping Smart through at least next season. From the Associated Press.
Sacramento president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie announced Monday that the team has extended Smart’s contract through the 2012-13 season. The 47-year-old Smart replaced the fired Paul Westphal in early January – giving him another shot as a head coach after being let go by the Golden State Warriors last April.
Smart move. The Kings have been better under him and he seems to have connected with the players. Give him a full training camp and more time — and ideally more talent, too — and see what he can do.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 7
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 44
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional