Mar 5, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
The buzz is out there — as “Linsanity” fades and reality comes into play, Baron Davis could steal the Knicks starting point guard spot from Jeremy Lin. That idea may have been bolstered Sunday when Rajon Rondo put up a triple-double on Lin, while Lin shot 1-for-7 in the overtime.
It’s not happening yet, coach Mike D’Antoni told Newsday. But on days Lin is cold Davis could start closing out games.
Mike D’Antoni said he’s sticking with Lin, but he didn’t rule out using Baron Davis at the end of games when Lin struggles like that. “Maybe,” he said. “We’ll see. I’m comfortable going with Jeremy. I think at the end of games, Jeremy finds a way to be positive, and he was.
“Jeremy’s going to finish games right now. He’s going to start games. And then we’ll see what happens as we go forward. But I’m comfortable with him.”
This is a case where D’Antoni should start Lin, then at the end of games play the hot hand. Some days that may well be Lin — and he was solid at the end of regulation Sunday — but other days that will be Davis. When Davis is on fire, he’s better than Lin (on the days he is hot he is as good a point guard as there is in the league). You just can’t count on that consistently.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48