Mar 5, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT
The buzz is out there — as “Linsanity” fades and reality comes into play, Baron Davis could steal the Knicks starting point guard spot from Jeremy Lin. That idea may have been bolstered Sunday when Rajon Rondo put up a triple-double on Lin, while Lin shot 1-for-7 in the overtime.
It’s not happening yet, coach Mike D’Antoni told Newsday. But on days Lin is cold Davis could start closing out games.
Mike D’Antoni said he’s sticking with Lin, but he didn’t rule out using Baron Davis at the end of games when Lin struggles like that. “Maybe,” he said. “We’ll see. I’m comfortable going with Jeremy. I think at the end of games, Jeremy finds a way to be positive, and he was.
“Jeremy’s going to finish games right now. He’s going to start games. And then we’ll see what happens as we go forward. But I’m comfortable with him.”
This is a case where D’Antoni should start Lin, then at the end of games play the hot hand. Some days that may well be Lin — and he was solid at the end of regulation Sunday — but other days that will be Davis. When Davis is on fire, he’s better than Lin (on the days he is hot he is as good a point guard as there is in the league). You just can’t count on that consistently.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23