Mar 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Chris Webber had All-Star years and put up big numbers on a contending team while in Sacramento — he’s looked back on as one of the team’s legendary players.
Now. But there were plenty of rough spots at the time. He didn’t really want to be traded there initially (because they had been a consistent loser at the time) and fans grew frustrated at times with his injuries and $127 million contract.
So it makes some sense that Webber has stepped forward as sort of a mentor for DeMarcus Cousins, the incredibly talented Kings big man who has had rough patches of his own already and didn’t really mesh with former coach Paul Westphal. In a note from the Boston Globe, Cousins said he appreciates Webber for just offering advice and not jumping on him with criticism.
“I have the utmost respect for C-Web, he’s a real person,’’ Cousins said. “He just gives me advice, tells me how to handle situations. He went through similar situations so of course he has advice for me. I guess you can say a big brother looking over me.’’
That’s a good big brother to have.
Cousins and current coach Keith Smart seem to get along much better, and Cousins play has improved of late. Next year is going to be very interesting for the Kings and Cousins as they start to approach the time when they have to start thinking about his contract after his rookie deal and what he deserves.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 8
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 46
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43