Mar 3, 2012, 2:05 AM EST
It was like reliving the All-Star Game.
LeBron James was at the heart of a comeback from 18-points down for the Heat — he had 19 points in the second half and controlled a lot of the key plays. He had another great game.
But with the Heat down one with 4.5 seconds left LeBron got the ball and drove, drew two defenders then passed to Udonis Haslem for a 16-foot jumper that missed, and the Jazz beat the Heat 99-98. That ended the Heat’s nine-game winning streak.
LeBron made the right basketball play — he drew the defenders and passed to the open man. But it goes back to the same old meme — we want James to take charge and take that shot, not Haslem (who could have kicked to Wade who was wide open on the wing, but that’s another discussion). It comes back to the feeling expressed in a tweet by our own John Krolik:
When LeBron’s team is up late, he’ll take the hero J. When down, he’ll go for the drive or the pass. Does not want to miss final J.
There were other guys you could blame for this loss — if Haslem hits that jumper or if Dwyane Wade makes a free throw (or doesn’t foul Devin Harris) we are not talking about this. But they didn’t and it fell to LeBron. A guy who entered the league as a drive and dish player without a jumper who reverts to that under pressure.
We have been down this road before. LeBron will take heat for this. The same way he did for the All-Star game. But it’s the same answer — what happens here does not matter. What matters is what LeBron does in the playoffs. If he makes this pass again in the finals and the Heat lose, it is his fault. If he makes the big plays in the playoffs and the Heat get a ring he can change the narrative. Until then, it’s all just fodder for people to say LeBron isn’t ready to win.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson swap 0
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 13
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36