Mar 3, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Yahoo’s Woj says that the Celtics and Hawks held “exploratory” trade talks about a swap but there’s nothing doing.This comes after a New York Daily News report indicated the two had held trade talks centered around Josh Smith for some package of the Boston Big 3.
Woj says the Hawks don’t want to move Smith for an expiring and the Celtics would rather just let Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen‘s money slide off the books after this year if they’re not getting long-term younger players. The impression I’ve gotten is the Celtics do want to rebuild in a trade, but it’s hard to see Josh Smith being the centerpiece if they’re going to move the Big 3. They have to get more than that.
It’s an interesting idea, Smith and Rondo together as a new foundation, but the Hawks are also still a playoff team and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Even though we know they’re not going anywhere, that playoff revenue matters and moving Smith for Garnett and Allen would be part of a bigger rebuilding plan. You’d need new and better ownership for that to happen.
It does show you that the Hawks continue to be open to liquidating some of their assets for the right pieces, and that the Celtics continue to shop the Big 3 trying to put together a new core. Smith may be the model of the type of player they’re aiming for, even if he’s not the big target.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3