Mar 3, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Yahoo’s Woj says that the Celtics and Hawks held “exploratory” trade talks about a swap but there’s nothing doing.This comes after a New York Daily News report indicated the two had held trade talks centered around Josh Smith for some package of the Boston Big 3.
Woj says the Hawks don’t want to move Smith for an expiring and the Celtics would rather just let Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen‘s money slide off the books after this year if they’re not getting long-term younger players. The impression I’ve gotten is the Celtics do want to rebuild in a trade, but it’s hard to see Josh Smith being the centerpiece if they’re going to move the Big 3. They have to get more than that.
It’s an interesting idea, Smith and Rondo together as a new foundation, but the Hawks are also still a playoff team and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Even though we know they’re not going anywhere, that playoff revenue matters and moving Smith for Garnett and Allen would be part of a bigger rebuilding plan. You’d need new and better ownership for that to happen.
It does show you that the Hawks continue to be open to liquidating some of their assets for the right pieces, and that the Celtics continue to shop the Big 3 trying to put together a new core. Smith may be the model of the type of player they’re aiming for, even if he’s not the big target.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)