Mar 3, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Yahoo’s Woj says that the Celtics and Hawks held “exploratory” trade talks about a swap but there’s nothing doing.This comes after a New York Daily News report indicated the two had held trade talks centered around Josh Smith for some package of the Boston Big 3.
Woj says the Hawks don’t want to move Smith for an expiring and the Celtics would rather just let Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen‘s money slide off the books after this year if they’re not getting long-term younger players. The impression I’ve gotten is the Celtics do want to rebuild in a trade, but it’s hard to see Josh Smith being the centerpiece if they’re going to move the Big 3. They have to get more than that.
It’s an interesting idea, Smith and Rondo together as a new foundation, but the Hawks are also still a playoff team and will remain so for the foreseeable future. Even though we know they’re not going anywhere, that playoff revenue matters and moving Smith for Garnett and Allen would be part of a bigger rebuilding plan. You’d need new and better ownership for that to happen.
It does show you that the Hawks continue to be open to liquidating some of their assets for the right pieces, and that the Celtics continue to shop the Big 3 trying to put together a new core. Smith may be the model of the type of player they’re aiming for, even if he’s not the big target.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20