The Celtics are really committed to telling you everything’s fine

Mar 3, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Rajon Rondo AP

The Celtics have been in trade rumors, progressively more and more as the weeks have gone on and finally on Friday, they snapped a little bit and went on a media binge to try and quell talks about Rarjon Rondo. Danny Ainge essentially went on every outlet in the Boston area and blasted the idea. And the Boston Herald followed up with Rondo about it.

“I’m doing all right,’’ Rondo said. “Like they say, it’s part of the business. I’m happy just playing basketball. I’m happy with the guys they have surrounded me with, the coaching staff. Other than that, when I’m on the court I’m just focused on winning and just having fun while I’m doing it.’’

Rivers and Rondo have both acknowledged past troubles with their relationship, but said it is vastly improved.

“It’s good to hear [positive words] come from the head coach, but some great opportunity might come out and [a trade] may happen, but you never know,’’ Rondo said. “Obviously, that was big of Doc to come out with that statement. That meant a lot to me, but I know the relationship we have.

via Rajon Rondo, Celtics move on from trade rumors – The Boston Globe.

Doc Rivers, also pretty mad.

“I don’t mind any rumors that are true,’’ he said. “I do get upset when it’s not true or in my opinion sometimes news is created and then people report on the news that they created. And when that happens, I’m not real happy with it.

“So in this case and in the [Pau] Gasol case, that’s two already, I haven’t been real happy with it because there’s no truth to that.

“The Gasol rumor was even crazier. That was just ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. When that kind of stuff happens, it bothers you because it’s being created by somebody outside of your touch and you can’t do anything about it.’

via Rajon Rondo, Celtics move on from trade rumors – The Boston Globe.

The problem is that teams assert these rumors come out of nowhere. Which it’s easy to say. “A reporter completely made this up.”

So to bear that out, a reporter for a major media outlet decided that the best thing to do would be to fabricate a trade rumor which will die in 24 hours, risking killing his or her own career in order to generate page views for less than 24 hours and losing their job. That makes sense.

The Celtics are clearly shopping everyone. That’s the plan. They’re not aggressively calling trying to dump players. But they’re open to talks and will continue to talk with teams about what they can do. Things can be great with Rondo. The talk won’t end until March 15th.

The trade deadline is 12 days away.

1. basketball34 - Mar 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

“A reporter for a major news outlet” – who are you talking about? Wojnarowski? We won’t know until March 15th, if even then, who was making up what. But only three days into this trade season, we’ve already seen pure speculation become individual opinion turned into rumor and then reported, blogged, and tweeted as fact. In the uncontrolled whirlwind of what is labeled sports journalism today, we should remain skeptical about every story, even if run by a “major news outlet.”

2. goforthanddie - Mar 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Yeah, because every team that’s “fine” shops 4/5 of their starting line-up.

• sellahh - Mar 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

This guy just nailed it. You 3 out of 6 ppl that thumbed down this comment are idiots.

3. isujames - Mar 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

This should have been done last year.

4. losangelasbasketball - Mar 3, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Celtics need to break up that love triangle in burston… Bring scalabrini back….SHOOT IT!!! SHOOT IT!!!

5. stayhigh_247 - Mar 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

if you’re gonna trade rondo then you have to blow up the whole team. what a waste though, I expected at least 2-3 rings from this squad and i bleed purple and gold! and thanks to Jim and Mitch i’m almost bled out!

• passerby23 - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

It’s a stretch to call it a waste. They did win a ring and were in control of Game 7 in the other finals. Who knows what would’ve happened in 2009 if Garnett wasn’t out? Winning even one has to be considered an accomplishment.

If I’m Ainge, I just ride it out and hope you can put it together with a little bit of luck in the playoffs, then let Allen’s and KG’s contracts expire.

6. basketball34 - Mar 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM

You’ve illustrated the problem, Goforth. You’ve assumed it’s a fact that Boston is shopping 4 of their 5 starters. But unless you just got off the phone with Ainge, you can’t know that. It’s a rumor, as is the author’s even more expansive claim that the Celtics are “clearly” shopping “everyone.” He doesn’t know that anymore than you or I do. Whether the team should shop everyone, whether they ultimately will are separate questions.

7. jimeejohnson - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Rondo is an inconsistent, petulant, no outside/foul shot, extremely talented passer, ball handler, and rebounder. The Celtics win nothing with him since they have no true center and an aging core of almost has beens. Pierce is pretty much done except against inferior opponents, Allen has lost a step, and KG is certainly slowed by age/physical stress. The Celtics have become the Knicks: they might get to the playoffs but they will not get beyond round 1.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches