Mar 3, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
The Celtics have been in trade rumors, progressively more and more as the weeks have gone on and finally on Friday, they snapped a little bit and went on a media binge to try and quell talks about Rarjon Rondo. Danny Ainge essentially went on every outlet in the Boston area and blasted the idea. And the Boston Herald followed up with Rondo about it.
“I’m doing all right,’’ Rondo said. “Like they say, it’s part of the business. I’m happy just playing basketball. I’m happy with the guys they have surrounded me with, the coaching staff. Other than that, when I’m on the court I’m just focused on winning and just having fun while I’m doing it.’’
Rivers and Rondo have both acknowledged past troubles with their relationship, but said it is vastly improved.
“It’s good to hear [positive words] come from the head coach, but some great opportunity might come out and [a trade] may happen, but you never know,’’ Rondo said. “Obviously, that was big of Doc to come out with that statement. That meant a lot to me, but I know the relationship we have.
Doc Rivers, also pretty mad.
“I don’t mind any rumors that are true,’’ he said. “I do get upset when it’s not true or in my opinion sometimes news is created and then people report on the news that they created. And when that happens, I’m not real happy with it.
“So in this case and in the [Pau] Gasol case, that’s two already, I haven’t been real happy with it because there’s no truth to that.
“The Gasol rumor was even crazier. That was just ridiculous. I don’t know where it came from. When that kind of stuff happens, it bothers you because it’s being created by somebody outside of your touch and you can’t do anything about it.’
The problem is that teams assert these rumors come out of nowhere. Which it’s easy to say. “A reporter completely made this up.”
So to bear that out, a reporter for a major media outlet decided that the best thing to do would be to fabricate a trade rumor which will die in 24 hours, risking killing his or her own career in order to generate page views for less than 24 hours and losing their job. That makes sense.
The Celtics are clearly shopping everyone. That’s the plan. They’re not aggressively calling trying to dump players. But they’re open to talks and will continue to talk with teams about what they can do. Things can be great with Rondo. The talk won’t end until March 15th.
The trade deadline is 12 days away.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)