Mar 2, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
Quietly yesterday, the deadline passed for Wilson Chandler to play anywhere in the NBA except Denver.
Chandler signed to play in China during the lockout, but he left before his team’s first round playoff series (against Stephon Marbury’s team) to try and negotiate a multi-year deal with an NBA deal. His Chinese team got swept out of the playoffs and he should be clear to play in the NBA again.
He is a restricted free agent and he had until Thursday to sign an offer from another team, Tom Ziller reminds us at SBN. He didn’t. So Chandler’s options are:
• Work out a new contract with the Nuggets.
• Sign the Nuggets offer sheet, play the rest of this season and next season for them then become a free agent in July 2013.
• Sign another deal to play overseas for the rest of this season, then return as a restricted free agent again next season.
Other teams didn’t offer a contract to Chandler knowing the Nuggets would match. Chandler wants to be a free agent, but to do that in the fastest way he’ll have to take a haircut on his salary this season and next.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 8
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4