Mar 2, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
Quietly yesterday, the deadline passed for Wilson Chandler to play anywhere in the NBA except Denver.
Chandler signed to play in China during the lockout, but he left before his team’s first round playoff series (against Stephon Marbury’s team) to try and negotiate a multi-year deal with an NBA deal. His Chinese team got swept out of the playoffs and he should be clear to play in the NBA again.
He is a restricted free agent and he had until Thursday to sign an offer from another team, Tom Ziller reminds us at SBN. He didn’t. So Chandler’s options are:
• Work out a new contract with the Nuggets.
• Sign the Nuggets offer sheet, play the rest of this season and next season for them then become a free agent in July 2013.
• Sign another deal to play overseas for the rest of this season, then return as a restricted free agent again next season.
Other teams didn’t offer a contract to Chandler knowing the Nuggets would match. Chandler wants to be a free agent, but to do that in the fastest way he’ll have to take a haircut on his salary this season and next.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 1
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 8
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21