Mar 2, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT
Quietly yesterday, the deadline passed for Wilson Chandler to play anywhere in the NBA except Denver.
Chandler signed to play in China during the lockout, but he left before his team’s first round playoff series (against Stephon Marbury’s team) to try and negotiate a multi-year deal with an NBA deal. His Chinese team got swept out of the playoffs and he should be clear to play in the NBA again.
He is a restricted free agent and he had until Thursday to sign an offer from another team, Tom Ziller reminds us at SBN. He didn’t. So Chandler’s options are:
• Work out a new contract with the Nuggets.
• Sign the Nuggets offer sheet, play the rest of this season and next season for them then become a free agent in July 2013.
• Sign another deal to play overseas for the rest of this season, then return as a restricted free agent again next season.
Other teams didn’t offer a contract to Chandler knowing the Nuggets would match. Chandler wants to be a free agent, but to do that in the fastest way he’ll have to take a haircut on his salary this season and next.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights