Mar 2, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
Right now, the Orlando Magic are heeding the advice of the Rolling Stones. They think time is on their side (yes it is).
With the NBA trade deadline now less than two weeks away, the Dwight Howard saga remains in the same groove it has been for months — the Magic are trying to convince Howard to stay and are working to bring in talent to put around Howard more than ship him out.
They think the longer they wait, the better their choices. As proof, we bring you the latest comments from Magic CEO Alex Martins, via the Orlando Sentinel.
“We have a couple of weeks until the trade deadline, which is a critical point on the calendar to determine how we can move forward together,” Martins said of the ongoing Dwight saga. “Our conversations with Dwight continue, and I feel good about the conversations we’ve had. … I’ve said all along our reason for not trading Dwight at the beginning of the season is that time would be on our side one way or another. Time would be on our side in the fact that we could work with Dwight to address his needs and ultimately convince him to stay. Or time would work on our side in that if Dwight made the decision that he didn’t want to stay, we would have more time to talk to other teams about what trade possibilities exist.”
Unlike last season when Knicks owner James Dolan hijacked the process and gave the Nuggets a much better deal, the Magic are not going to see trade offers improve dramatically.
If the Magic hold on too long, they could be singing another Rolling Stones classic — “I can’t get no satisfaction.”
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 76
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32