Mar 2, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
As if there are not enough issues swirling around the Celtics right now….
Jermaine O’Neal — the best true center left on the Celtics roster — will be out at least two more weeks due to an injured left wrist that has bothered him since last season, the Boston Herald reports.
After meeting with a hand specialist yesterday, O’Neal decided to forgo surgery once again, instead opting for a cortisone shot. According to Celtics president Danny Ainge, O’Neal could be out for another 14 days while waiting for the pain-killing drug to do its work.
“He’s going to need surgery at some point,” said Ainge. “But he’ll play with it for now. He needed the surgery last season but wanted to play. Now, though, they think he’ll be ready to play in another 10 or 14 days.”
O’Neal is not putting up big stats — five points and five rebounds a game — but his size in the paint is a key addition to the Celtics defense, and he gives them a chance to get some points out of the five spot. Which they need.
But will not have for a couple weeks.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?