Mar 1, 2012, 4:07 PM EST
All the buzz today on your television and sports talk radio has been the idea that the Boston Celtics are ready to move Rajon Rondo. And they are — GM Danny Ainge isn’t “shopping” Rondo in the sense he is not calling around desperately trying to trade Rondo for a couple role players, the Celtics are happy to keep him. But if you call up and blow the Celtics away with an offer, you can get Rondo.
But when people are calling up, they are not asking for Rondo, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Among the teams interested in them are the Clippers, who since Billups went down could use a veteran wing.
Why those two and not Rondo around the league? Fit and shorter contracts, the same things that drive most trades.
Allen has a skillset — the ability to shoot the ball — that fits in with any team. And with a $10 million expiring contract, there are a number of teams that could benefit from adding the NBA’s all-time 3-point shooting king. Among those believed to have some interest in Allen, are the Los Angeles Clippers. With the season-ending injury to Chauncey Billups, the Clippers have a huge void to fill at the shooting guard position.
As for Pierce, he still has two years remaining on his contract after this season (the final year is partially guaranteed), but he’s still one of the better one-on-one scorers in the NBA. Adding a player like Pierce, either as a starter or coming off the bench, could provide some much-needed depth to a title contender or a playoff team looking to improve their standing. Some of the teams believed to have interest in Pierce include both of his hometown teams — the Los Angeles Lakers and the Clippers — as well as the Houston Rockets.
It feels more and more like Ainge and the Celtics are going to make a big move, but that move may be more likely to be one of the “big three” than Rondo. That is, unless they can get someone to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal.
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 0
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 25
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 17
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 13
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6