Mar 1, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
All the buzz today on your television and sports talk radio has been the idea that the Boston Celtics are ready to move Rajon Rondo. And they are — GM Danny Ainge isn’t “shopping” Rondo in the sense he is not calling around desperately trying to trade Rondo for a couple role players, the Celtics are happy to keep him. But if you call up and blow the Celtics away with an offer, you can get Rondo.
But when people are calling up, they are not asking for Rondo, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
Among the teams interested in them are the Clippers, who since Billups went down could use a veteran wing.
Why those two and not Rondo around the league? Fit and shorter contracts, the same things that drive most trades.
Allen has a skillset — the ability to shoot the ball — that fits in with any team. And with a $10 million expiring contract, there are a number of teams that could benefit from adding the NBA’s all-time 3-point shooting king. Among those believed to have some interest in Allen, are the Los Angeles Clippers. With the season-ending injury to Chauncey Billups, the Clippers have a huge void to fill at the shooting guard position.
As for Pierce, he still has two years remaining on his contract after this season (the final year is partially guaranteed), but he’s still one of the better one-on-one scorers in the NBA. Adding a player like Pierce, either as a starter or coming off the bench, could provide some much-needed depth to a title contender or a playoff team looking to improve their standing. Some of the teams believed to have interest in Pierce include both of his hometown teams — the Los Angeles Lakers and the Clippers — as well as the Houston Rockets.
It feels more and more like Ainge and the Celtics are going to make a big move, but that move may be more likely to be one of the “big three” than Rondo. That is, unless they can get someone to take on Jermaine O’Neal’s deal.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29