Mar 1, 2012, 2:23 AM EDT
You know changes are coming to the Boston Celtics over the next few months — if not at the trade deadline certainly over the summer.
But rumors that GM Danny Ainge and the Celtics are looking to move Rondo just keep coming up, making you wonder how much fire there is behind all the smoke. The latest bit of smoke comes from Chris Broussard at ESPN (via ESPNBoston.com).
Boston is aggressively shopping Rondo, according to sources. The Celtics find Rondo’s personality to be too high-maintenance and his clashes with coach Doc Rivers continue. With the Celtics having realized they are no longer title contenders, they don’t believe the payoff is worth the headaches Rondo brings, sources say. And they do not want to build around him.
If true — and that’s a big if — the challenge for the Celtics will be how to get equal value for Rondo. Rondo is not one of the game’s truly transcendent players — he is not Chris Paul or Derrick Rose at the point, he is a step behind them. He is still one of the best point guards in the league, an All-Star, but getting someone back of equal caliber is going to be challenging. The Celtics don’t want to just move him for parts, but they are not going to get someone like Pau Gasol out of the Lakers for him.
Still, this is something to watch. If the Celtics can find a deal it would be a blockbuster.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38