Mar 1, 2012, 10:23 AM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki played just 10 minutes on Wednesday — scoring one point on one shot attempt — before heading to the locker room with back pain that kept him out the rest of the night. While this does not appear to be anything serious or long-term, his status for the Mavericks game Wednesday is up in the air.
Here is what Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said after the game, via the Star Telegram.
“He had a back issue and he felt something in warmups and tried to play,” Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said.
“He clearly wasn’t moving the way he need to be moving, so we pulled the plug. So he’ll get treatment and we’ll see where we are Friday [in New Orleans].”
Nowitzki is the hub around which the Mavericks offense flows — when he sits they are an unimpressive offensive team. Look back to what happened when he had to take four games off earlier this season.
It becomes a balancing act for the Mavericks, who need to get him back but really need him to be right come the playoffs and not have lingering back issues.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37