Mar 1, 2012, 10:23 AM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki played just 10 minutes on Wednesday — scoring one point on one shot attempt — before heading to the locker room with back pain that kept him out the rest of the night. While this does not appear to be anything serious or long-term, his status for the Mavericks game Wednesday is up in the air.
Here is what Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said after the game, via the Star Telegram.
“He had a back issue and he felt something in warmups and tried to play,” Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said.
“He clearly wasn’t moving the way he need to be moving, so we pulled the plug. So he’ll get treatment and we’ll see where we are Friday [in New Orleans].”
Nowitzki is the hub around which the Mavericks offense flows — when he sits they are an unimpressive offensive team. Look back to what happened when he had to take four games off earlier this season.
It becomes a balancing act for the Mavericks, who need to get him back but really need him to be right come the playoffs and not have lingering back issues.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36