Mar 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
This is why you should be reading ProHockeyTalk…
The New York Rangers have a new enforcer, John Scott. (For you hoops fans wondering what an enforcer does, think Charles Oakley if the NBA let him fight.) Before he was a Ranger he played for the Chicago Blackhawks. He and some Blackhawk teammates had taken in a Jeremy Lin era Knicks game and when Scott was asked about it later he talked about it in terms of an enforcer.
“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him.”
Scott then gets traded to New York, where many sports fans are convinced Jeremy Lin can leap tall buildings in a single bound and could walk across the Hudson River if he wanted to. So, Scott was given a chance to clarify is statements.
“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.
“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”
Lin’s not a small guy, but Scott is 6’8”, 270 pounds. Lin could throw a combination of punches at Scott in the hallway and he might not even notice.
And for the record, Derrick Rose grew up in a tough area of Chicago, Lin lived in the Bay Area and went to Harvard. I’ll take D-Rose, too.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10