Mar 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
This is why you should be reading ProHockeyTalk…
The New York Rangers have a new enforcer, John Scott. (For you hoops fans wondering what an enforcer does, think Charles Oakley if the NBA let him fight.) Before he was a Ranger he played for the Chicago Blackhawks. He and some Blackhawk teammates had taken in a Jeremy Lin era Knicks game and when Scott was asked about it later he talked about it in terms of an enforcer.
“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him.”
Scott then gets traded to New York, where many sports fans are convinced Jeremy Lin can leap tall buildings in a single bound and could walk across the Hudson River if he wanted to. So, Scott was given a chance to clarify is statements.
“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.
“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”
Lin’s not a small guy, but Scott is 6’8”, 270 pounds. Lin could throw a combination of punches at Scott in the hallway and he might not even notice.
And for the record, Derrick Rose grew up in a tough area of Chicago, Lin lived in the Bay Area and went to Harvard. I’ll take D-Rose, too.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 5
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3