Mar 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
This is why you should be reading ProHockeyTalk…
The New York Rangers have a new enforcer, John Scott. (For you hoops fans wondering what an enforcer does, think Charles Oakley if the NBA let him fight.) Before he was a Ranger he played for the Chicago Blackhawks. He and some Blackhawk teammates had taken in a Jeremy Lin era Knicks game and when Scott was asked about it later he talked about it in terms of an enforcer.
“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him.”
Scott then gets traded to New York, where many sports fans are convinced Jeremy Lin can leap tall buildings in a single bound and could walk across the Hudson River if he wanted to. So, Scott was given a chance to clarify is statements.
“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.
“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”
Lin’s not a small guy, but Scott is 6’8”, 270 pounds. Lin could throw a combination of punches at Scott in the hallway and he might not even notice.
And for the record, Derrick Rose grew up in a tough area of Chicago, Lin lived in the Bay Area and went to Harvard. I’ll take D-Rose, too.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay