Newest New York Ranger says Jeremy Lin can punch him

Mar 1, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v New York Knicks Getty Images

This is why you should be reading ProHockeyTalk

The New York Rangers have a new enforcer, John Scott. (For you hoops fans wondering what an enforcer does, think Charles Oakley if the NBA let him fight.) Before he was a Ranger he played for the Chicago Blackhawks. He and some Blackhawk teammates had taken in a Jeremy Lin era Knicks game and when Scott was asked about it later he talked about it in terms of an enforcer.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him.”

Scott then gets traded to New York, where many sports fans are convinced Jeremy Lin can leap tall buildings in a single bound and could walk across the Hudson River if he wanted to. So, Scott was given a chance to clarify is statements.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Lin’s not a small guy, but Scott is 6’8”, 270 pounds. Lin could throw a combination of punches at Scott in the hallway and he might not even notice.

And for the record, Derrick Rose grew up in a tough area of Chicago, Lin lived in the Bay Area and went to Harvard. I’ll take D-Rose, too.

1. nogoodtomedead - Mar 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Yeah I don’t think Lin grew up in the hood. But the bay area has its problem areas. Richmond, Vallejo, Oakland, Hunter’s Point……. look it up.

2. xrateplaya - Mar 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Bay area guys will knock out any chi town guy.. Don’t take rose just cuz he’s black racist

3. africanballer - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

This is irrelevant

4. africanballer - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I love this kid J-Lin, but this…This is irrelevant

5. anhdazman - Mar 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Rose would win 9 out of 10 one on one games with Jeremy Lin, but that’s not the point here. It’s a team sport and the best TEAM will come out on top. The more athletic players will win the battles, but it takes a whole team effort to win the war.

6. granadafan - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Hmmm, when I grew up all the kids thought I knew kung fu just because I was of Chinese ancestry. J-Lin just has to make some kung fu noises, wave his arms around a bit, and Derrick Rose would run away like all the other kids did.

7. aigraiders - Mar 4, 2012 at 3:13 AM

If it will take the best pg and top 3 player in the world to beat Jlin then JLin should consider that a badge of honor.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches