Mar 1, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Orlando is not ready to trade Dwight Howard. They may not be by March 15, but they certainly are not right now.
In fact, multiple reports have them working the phones trying to bring in more talent to put around Howard rather than ship him out. And they know to keep him they can’t just bring in a nice role player, they need a blockbuster.
Here is one report, from Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld.
The Orlando Magic has made offers for Nash in the past and sources close to the situation say that they’ll attempt to acquire the 16-year veteran in the next two weeks. Dwight Howard has asked the front office to pursue Nash and sources close to Howard believe he won’t exercise his early termination option if the team is able to acquire Nash and re-sign him this summer.
The Suns are going to get a lot of calls about Nash, but they have no intention of moving him right now.
Another backup plan is reportedly Monta Ellis, according to a Real GM report. There is only one player on the Magic that the Warriors would give up Ellis for and that is Howard. That’s not going to happen.
But you get the idea, Orlando wants to bring in talent that will entice Howard to stay. The problem is there is nobody on that roster any other team really wants save Howard.
You could argue the Magic had a lot more of that back in 2009 when they went to the finals but they let it go. We’re not going to do that, just keep looking forward Orlando. But that future for the Magic keeping Howard seems bleak considering he gave you a trade demand and a list of teams. Just saying you might want to consider other options.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61