Mar 1, 2012, 2:03 PM EST
Friday is the 50th anniversary of Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points in a game. A feat that is shrouded in legend and myth, but in actuality was a bit bogus as teammates fouled the opposing team at the end of a blowout game to stop the clock, send them to the line and get the ball back so they could feed Wilt. We’ll get into that game more tomorrow.
The question for right now is, could someone do it again?
If anyone has the skill and is enough of an unrepentant gunner to pull it off, it is Kobe Bryant. He had 81 in a game (legitimately, the Lakers were behind when he started taking over that game).
So Kobe, could it happen again? (Via the amazing Kevin Ding at the Orange County Register.)
“It probably won’t happen in our generation or the next, but it will happen,” Bryant said….
“Right place, right time, right team … the right opponent,” Bryant said.
A few things have to come together for it to happen. First, a great scorer having just one of those nights where he can’t miss. The right opponent (read: bad defensive matchup for that player’s position). And the one thing that makes me think it will be a while — a very, very fast paced game. The average NBA game this season has 93.8 possessions per team, you’re going to need to get that into the 110 level to give this player a real chance.
I don’t see it. Then again, I didn’t see anyone scoring 80 ever again, so who knows.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 6
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8