Mar 1, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Any time a superstar is on the move via free agency, there are a couple teams that just automatically come up in the conversation. Whether there is anything to it or not. Fans will bring it up, rumors will get flowing, logic be damned.
Like Dwight Howard to the Knicks. New York already has a very good center in Tyson Chandler who fits what they do very well — he defends, rebounds and is great on the pick-and-roll. Yet the Howard rumors and comments still swirl.
Well, stop it. He’s not going there. Well, unless he changes his mind (and the Magic do, too). Here is what Chris Broussard said at ESPN.
New York is another place Howard would consider settling in long-term, and the talent-laden Knicks could offer a package that could rival just about anyone’s, something along the lines of Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler. The Knicks, however, have not discussed this scenario with the Magic and sources say, they will get involved in a potential trade for Howard only if the Orlando center gives strong indications that he wants to play there. Otherwise, the Knicks do not believe it’s worth the risk of potentially upsetting some of their star players by including them in a trade offer that’s unlikely to be accepted.
Nothing is happening with Howard until the Magic decide they need to move him, and right now they are working to put talent around him, not move him. I’d still say it’s 50/50 or better the Magic hold on to Howard through the trade deadline. And if they do move him, they may well not like the Knicks offer best.
Howard may end up playing in New York next season, but more than likely in the borough of Brooklyn.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 3
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 17
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90