Mar 1, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
Any time a superstar is on the move via free agency, there are a couple teams that just automatically come up in the conversation. Whether there is anything to it or not. Fans will bring it up, rumors will get flowing, logic be damned.
Like Dwight Howard to the Knicks. New York already has a very good center in Tyson Chandler who fits what they do very well — he defends, rebounds and is great on the pick-and-roll. Yet the Howard rumors and comments still swirl.
Well, stop it. He’s not going there. Well, unless he changes his mind (and the Magic do, too). Here is what Chris Broussard said at ESPN.
New York is another place Howard would consider settling in long-term, and the talent-laden Knicks could offer a package that could rival just about anyone’s, something along the lines of Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler. The Knicks, however, have not discussed this scenario with the Magic and sources say, they will get involved in a potential trade for Howard only if the Orlando center gives strong indications that he wants to play there. Otherwise, the Knicks do not believe it’s worth the risk of potentially upsetting some of their star players by including them in a trade offer that’s unlikely to be accepted.
Nothing is happening with Howard until the Magic decide they need to move him, and right now they are working to put talent around him, not move him. I’d still say it’s 50/50 or better the Magic hold on to Howard through the trade deadline. And if they do move him, they may well not like the Knicks offer best.
Howard may end up playing in New York next season, but more than likely in the borough of Brooklyn.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 0
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 18
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 28