Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
It’s part of being President of the United States — you get information before everyone else.
Of course, most of that is about things like the nuclear capabilities of Iran and other such actually important matters. But he gets basketball information, too.
Like about Jeremy Lin, the Harvard-graduate Knicks sensation. He told Grantland’s Bill Simmons about it in a podcast (hat tip to Businessinsider.com). It started because Simmons joked that Obama is no longer the most famous living Harvard graduate.
“Jeremy Lin is doing good. And I knew about Jeremy before you did, or everybody else did, because Arne Duncan, my Secretary of Education was captain of the Harvard team. And so way back when, Arne and I were playing and he said, I’m telling you, we’ve got this terrific guard named Jeremy Lin at Harvard. And then one of my best friends, his son is a freshman at Harvard, and so when he went for a recruiting trip he saw Lin in action. So I’ve been on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for a while.”
Simmons: It’s funny, because I always pictured you in bed pretending you were working but watching League Pass on your iPad — [laughter] — watching some West Coast game — [the] Sacramento Kings or something.
Obama: I do have League Pass on my iPad.
Simmons: You do?
Obama: Of course.
Simmons: Do you pay for it yourself or do you charge it to the White House?
Obama: No, I’ve got to pay for it myself. [Laughter.]
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25