Barack Obama knew about Jeremy Lin before you did

Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT

President Barack Obama Getty Images

It’s part of being President of the United States — you get information before everyone else.

Of course, most of that is about things like the nuclear capabilities of Iran and other such actually important matters. But he gets basketball information, too.

Like about Jeremy Lin, the Harvard-graduate Knicks sensation. He told Grantland’s Bill Simmons about it in a podcast (hat tip to Businessinsider.com). It started because Simmons joked that Obama is no longer the most famous living Harvard graduate.

“Jeremy Lin is doing good. And I knew about Jeremy before you did, or everybody else did, because Arne Duncan, my Secretary of Education was captain of the Harvard team. And so way back when, Arne and I were playing and he said, I’m telling you, we’ve got this terrific guard named Jeremy Lin at Harvard. And then one of my best friends, his son is a freshman at Harvard, and so when he went for a recruiting trip he saw Lin in action. So I’ve been on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for a while.”

Also, to unwind at night, rather than reading another briefing on the Greek economy, he watches a little League Pass. Of course Obama has League Pass. Hat tip to the Hangtime Blog at NBA.com.

Simmons: It’s funny, because I always pictured you in bed pretending you were working but watching League Pass on your iPad — [laughter] — watching some West Coast game — [the] Sacramento Kings or something.

Obama: I do have League Pass on my iPad.

Simmons: You do?

Obama: Of course.

Simmons: Do you pay for it yourself or do you charge it to the White House?

Obama: No, I’ve got to pay for it myself. [Laughter.]

1. blueintown - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Here we go..

2. dc1to1 - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Good stuff!

3. drunkenjunk - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

ok, really? Nobody cares. Please interview Tom Cruise, then Charles Manson and finish off with Jessica Alba because I care as much about what any of them think about basketball as I do with what Obama thinks. Is he all of a sudden an oracle of information. This guy needs to get his head out of his ass.

“I knew about Jeremy Lin before you did” oh really did you? Well congratulations, now why don’t you go and hang some more of my friends out to dry you piece of garbage.

Sincerely,
    A Soldier

• deadeyedesign23 - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM

When did the American military become to self important? Both of my grandfathers were in World War 2, both were shot and neither of them ever behaved like they were owed something like you.

• aigraiders - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Deadeye nailed it. Somewhere along the way, we went from the quietly serving WWII generation to this full blown entitlement crap from “the volunteer” force. I love our military but they should be silent and deadly. I have a ton of respect for my childhood friend who drove into the desert during the first gulf war for a few nites without sleep. He goes quietly about his business and never flaunt this entitlement crap I served and you didn’t. Now we got SEALS doing a full blown movie…wtf ever happened to do your job and shut the heck up.

Obama has done more for veterans than anything Reagan, Bush 1 or Bush 2 did. But they still blast him.

• granadafan - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Nice try tea bagger. It’s disgusting of you to pretend to be a soldier just to bash the president.

4. asublimeday - Mar 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

FOUR MORE YEARS!

5. dadawg77 - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

He has to have the pass to watch “a nice little point guard” in Chicago.

• dadawg77 - Mar 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM

sorry my memory failed me, I meant “pretty good point guard”

6. phx1311 - Mar 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM

coolest president ever !!!

7. jucam1 - Mar 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Barry O you’re the MAN!

8. druppel52 - Mar 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Too bad he didn’t know about $5 gas prices…

9. bobwheel - Mar 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM

He remembers Lin just like he remembers all of his favorite Chicago White Sox.

10. cowboychris5xchamps - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hey “drunkenjunk” you should spit some of your venom towards your buddy GEORGE DOUBLE-YA or are you too drunk to remember who created this mess…..

• electstat - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:34 AM

The president doesn’t give authorization for war…congress does.

• aigraiders - Mar 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM

But the President can sure as heck twist their arms and use the bully pulpit to make them do so.

• makjak2 - Mar 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM

The last time congress gave a declaration of war was WWII.

• granadafan - Mar 2, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Congress didn’t declare war when Bush started not one, but two wars. Iraq was absolutely no threat to the US and was only started to finish what daddy did not.

11. bhocangofuckhimself - Mar 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Bush went to Harvard too. Only he released his grades and transcripts. So much for “the most transparent” administration ever. Big ass loser. 06NOV12 will make his ass cry. This guy is a lame and wouldn’t last five minutes in my neighborhood let alone on the streets of Compton or any other place like that. Succa

12. mtheparrothead - Mar 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Double ya again? When does this economy become obummers?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches