Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
It’s part of being President of the United States — you get information before everyone else.
Of course, most of that is about things like the nuclear capabilities of Iran and other such actually important matters. But he gets basketball information, too.
Like about Jeremy Lin, the Harvard-graduate Knicks sensation. He told Grantland’s Bill Simmons about it in a podcast (hat tip to Businessinsider.com). It started because Simmons joked that Obama is no longer the most famous living Harvard graduate.
“Jeremy Lin is doing good. And I knew about Jeremy before you did, or everybody else did, because Arne Duncan, my Secretary of Education was captain of the Harvard team. And so way back when, Arne and I were playing and he said, I’m telling you, we’ve got this terrific guard named Jeremy Lin at Harvard. And then one of my best friends, his son is a freshman at Harvard, and so when he went for a recruiting trip he saw Lin in action. So I’ve been on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for a while.”
Simmons: It’s funny, because I always pictured you in bed pretending you were working but watching League Pass on your iPad — [laughter] — watching some West Coast game — [the] Sacramento Kings or something.
Obama: I do have League Pass on my iPad.
Simmons: You do?
Obama: Of course.
Simmons: Do you pay for it yourself or do you charge it to the White House?
Obama: No, I’ve got to pay for it myself. [Laughter.]
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 0
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19