Feb 29, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant did not take part in the Lakers shootaround on Wednesday before facing the Timberwolves on Wednesday night because he is still going through the steps to be cleared to play in that game.
Steps he is close to clearing — the team says he has been symptom free since Tuesday afternoon and he may be given the green light to play Wednesday night. If he does, he’ll play in a mask to protect his broken nose, according to the Lakers.
Kobe can play through the broken nose, but the concussion diagnosis changed the game and took matters out of the Lakers’ hands. The league’s new concussion policy this year says Kobe (or any player with a concussion) has to be symptom free for 24 hours before the game, pass a computer reaction test (measured against a baseline he took before the season) as well as some physical tests where the symptoms cannot return.
Here are the tweets from the Lakers.com official reporter Mike Trudell:
Kobe is “doing great” says LAL spokesman John Black. He’s been symptom free since last afternoon…. Kobe has passed all of the tests mandated thus far (neurological, bicycle, Axon and treadmill)…. Bottom line is that if Kobe passes the 2-on-2 hoops test now, & another w/neurologist pregame, he may well be able to play.
This will almost be a game time decision, but not one made by the Lakers and Kobe, rather one made by the league’s neurologist.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59