Feb 29, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
There are a few teams out there who could really use an elite point guard. Yes Lakers, we’re looking right at you, but there are many others.
Which is why the Toronto Raptors will get some inquiries about Jose Calderon, who is the best point guard readily available in a trade right now (we’re Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo in the “readily available” category). He is a good floor general, can hit the three (37.8 percent this season), nearly 3-1 assist-to-turnovers, and is a decent defender.
What’s not to like? Well, the $10.6 million he makes next season, which is pretty steep for a good but not All-Star player like Calderon.
Bottom line is the Raptors are not likely to move him yet, reports the Toronto Sun.
Moving Calderon doesn’t make much sense at this point — he has had a fine season and is the only man on the roster capable of being a starting point guard in the NBA. He will be even more valuable in the summer with only a year left on his contract should the team acquire other options by then. Or he could stay put with a bevy of talented young potentially restricted free agent point guards hitting the market in the summer of 2013.
The Raptors will listen and if an offer blows their doors off they will make a move. But if you were looking for a more likely move, see if they trade backup point guard Leandro Barbosa. Not as good a player, not going to net as much in a trade, but more likely to be sent out as he is in the last year of his deal.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28