Feb 29, 2012, 3:17 PM EDT
There are a few teams out there who could really use an elite point guard. Yes Lakers, we’re looking right at you, but there are many others.
Which is why the Toronto Raptors will get some inquiries about Jose Calderon, who is the best point guard readily available in a trade right now (we’re Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo in the “readily available” category). He is a good floor general, can hit the three (37.8 percent this season), nearly 3-1 assist-to-turnovers, and is a decent defender.
What’s not to like? Well, the $10.6 million he makes next season, which is pretty steep for a good but not All-Star player like Calderon.
Bottom line is the Raptors are not likely to move him yet, reports the Toronto Sun.
Moving Calderon doesn’t make much sense at this point — he has had a fine season and is the only man on the roster capable of being a starting point guard in the NBA. He will be even more valuable in the summer with only a year left on his contract should the team acquire other options by then. Or he could stay put with a bevy of talented young potentially restricted free agent point guards hitting the market in the summer of 2013.
The Raptors will listen and if an offer blows their doors off they will make a move. But if you were looking for a more likely move, see if they trade backup point guard Leandro Barbosa. Not as good a player, not going to net as much in a trade, but more likely to be sent out as he is in the last year of his deal.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 0
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23