Delonte West talks about, denies “that rumor”

Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 AM EDT

Delonte West, Roy Hibbert, Danny Granger AP

At PBT, up to now I’ve avoided doing a post about “that” Delonte West rumor. You know the one.

Because I never believed it — no source I trusted ever confirmed it and those closest to the team always said it was not true. Yet it was out there and will not go away — LeBron James got into it with a fan recently who brought up the rumor that West had an affair with James’ mother Gloria back in 2010 (and that was part of why those Cavaliers fell in the playoffs).

In an interview with the Dallas Morning News (one you should read all of, and one I found via The Post Game), West went out of the way to both deny the rumor and wonder why people would spread it in the first place.

“Everywhere I go, first question, ‘Don’t tell me you did that.’ …

“If we want to continue to grow as a human race, what are we teaching our kids if we try to make humor and fun out of stuff like that?” West says of the rumor. “Number one, something like that never happened. I don’t know where they got that from.

“For a strong black woman like that, for people to try to tear her down, that’s terrible. That’s terrible in so many ways.”

It is terrible. I’m glad he addressed it, because now we are done with it forever on this blog.

1. seattlesuperchronic - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Never say never Mr Helin, if it’s popular you’ll report it like the rest of the soul suckers. Whatever generates interest, whether it be someone’s drug problem, arrests, family problems or serious disease. Don’t act like you won’t get in the dirt with all the others. I like this site because of the news and SPORTS rumors, not because of people getting pissed at LeBron because he might not have payed for a cake. I need to take a shower, your lies make me feel dirty.

• muhangis - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:29 AM

what the hell are you so mad about? jesus just gtfo

• david8726 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM

wtf are you talking about? And why is anyone upvoting this?

The fact that he never wrote a story about this prior to just now would seem to contradict this assertion by you that he’s like “other reporters”, no?

Not all reporters write like the guys at Deadspin. Some people *do* have standards.

2. lucidsportsfan - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Here’s why I think it’s true: http://www.lucidsportsfan.com/2011_05_15_archive.html#4831143561487036410

3. trbowman - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Own up to it already – you did LBJ’s mo.

Rumors are rumors but something like that doesn’t just pop up out of nowhere.

• solomon151 - Feb 29, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I agree. Something like that just doesnt happen out of thin air. Why Him?? And he didnt really deny it.

4. cmbailey7384 - Feb 29, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Can I make this point: Does it really matter? It “allegedly” happened years ago, they don’t play on the same team anymore. The only reason this keeps coming up is because writers and drunk fans bring it up as a way to dig at LBJ. You want to talk about the man, talk about his failings, how he passed up the last shot in the all star game (sorry Kurt, your boy shied away from the glory – again), talk about how he disappeared in the finals last year, or how he ripped the heart out of his hometown. His mother, frankly anyone’s family should be off limits, no matter what the circumstances.

5. vaughnorange - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:23 AM

I’m sure he gets “betta have my donuts” more often.

6. seattlesuperchronic - Feb 29, 2012 at 6:24 AM

muhangis

I thought it was pretty obvious what I’m mad about. I don’t buy the high road vibe Helin is portraying. If some controversial situation presented itself, he’d be balls deep with all the other media outlets for the sake of popularity. If he really didn’t want to write about this, he wouldn’t have. Instead, he writes an article proudly about how he didn’t want to. If you give a homeless man $5 and tell everyone about it, why did you really do it?

• david8726 - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM

He wrote an article about this because Delonte himself finally came out and spoke to reporters about this. That is something worth reporting, so he wrote the story.

7. florida727 - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I’m not going to thumbs-up or thumbs-down any of the comments on this one, but I think “seattle…” brings up a really good point. (And for the record, I’m a Helin fan; always have enjoyed his work.) If no one reads his work, which is measured by site hits and blog posts, he’s out of a job. No offense, Kurt, but you’ll report it. Maybe not because you’ll (personally) WANT to, but because you (professionally) sort of HAVE to.

“seattle…” brings up another valid point in his second post… if you do something so you can tell everyone you’ve done something, it’s meaningless. I remember the time my daughter bought a fast-food meal for a homeless guy. She was about 10 or 12 years old at the time, and used her own money. She made my wife promise not to tell anyone about it, not even me. Obviously my wife told me, but made ME promise not to say anything to my daughter. Her heart was in the right place. I couldn’t have been more proud of her.

8. mgscott - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Shortly after this interview word is Delonte said “Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4, Not 5, Not 6…

9. bleed4philly - Feb 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Sounds guilty to me.

10. readysethike - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM

He says somethin like that never happened, what more do u people want…does brons mom have to come out and address the rumors too?

11. vaughnorange - Feb 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM

betta have my donuts

12. pellypell - Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Why Kurt even entertains this crap and posts about it is beyond me. I don’t think Kurt would appreciate us bringing up the rumor about him, you know the one?

13. saveusterrelldavis - Feb 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Delonte is gonna have a 3some with both of your mom’s at you and LeBron’s wedding kid!

14. sellahh - Feb 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

15. zhangocracy - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I wouldn’t admit to that grenade either.

16. shaggytoodle - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Bill Clinton didn’t have sexual relations with an intern either.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches