Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 AM EDT
At PBT, up to now I’ve avoided doing a post about “that” Delonte West rumor. You know the one.
Because I never believed it — no source I trusted ever confirmed it and those closest to the team always said it was not true. Yet it was out there and will not go away — LeBron James got into it with a fan recently who brought up the rumor that West had an affair with James’ mother Gloria back in 2010 (and that was part of why those Cavaliers fell in the playoffs).
In an interview with the Dallas Morning News (one you should read all of, and one I found via The Post Game), West went out of the way to both deny the rumor and wonder why people would spread it in the first place.
“Everywhere I go, first question, ‘Don’t tell me you did that.’ …
“If we want to continue to grow as a human race, what are we teaching our kids if we try to make humor and fun out of stuff like that?” West says of the rumor. “Number one, something like that never happened. I don’t know where they got that from.
“For a strong black woman like that, for people to try to tear her down, that’s terrible. That’s terrible in so many ways.”
It is terrible. I’m glad he addressed it, because now we are done with it forever on this blog.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 0
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 7
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 13
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11