Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 AM EST
At PBT, up to now I’ve avoided doing a post about “that” Delonte West rumor. You know the one.
Because I never believed it — no source I trusted ever confirmed it and those closest to the team always said it was not true. Yet it was out there and will not go away — LeBron James got into it with a fan recently who brought up the rumor that West had an affair with James’ mother Gloria back in 2010 (and that was part of why those Cavaliers fell in the playoffs).
In an interview with the Dallas Morning News (one you should read all of, and one I found via The Post Game), West went out of the way to both deny the rumor and wonder why people would spread it in the first place.
“Everywhere I go, first question, ‘Don’t tell me you did that.’ …
“If we want to continue to grow as a human race, what are we teaching our kids if we try to make humor and fun out of stuff like that?” West says of the rumor. “Number one, something like that never happened. I don’t know where they got that from.
“For a strong black woman like that, for people to try to tear her down, that’s terrible. That’s terrible in so many ways.”
It is terrible. I’m glad he addressed it, because now we are done with it forever on this blog.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16