Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 AM EDT
At PBT, up to now I’ve avoided doing a post about “that” Delonte West rumor. You know the one.
Because I never believed it — no source I trusted ever confirmed it and those closest to the team always said it was not true. Yet it was out there and will not go away — LeBron James got into it with a fan recently who brought up the rumor that West had an affair with James’ mother Gloria back in 2010 (and that was part of why those Cavaliers fell in the playoffs).
In an interview with the Dallas Morning News (one you should read all of, and one I found via The Post Game), West went out of the way to both deny the rumor and wonder why people would spread it in the first place.
“Everywhere I go, first question, ‘Don’t tell me you did that.’ …
“If we want to continue to grow as a human race, what are we teaching our kids if we try to make humor and fun out of stuff like that?” West says of the rumor. “Number one, something like that never happened. I don’t know where they got that from.
“For a strong black woman like that, for people to try to tear her down, that’s terrible. That’s terrible in so many ways.”
It is terrible. I’m glad he addressed it, because now we are done with it forever on this blog.
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 0
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36