Feb 29, 2012, 1:49 AM EST
At PBT, up to now I’ve avoided doing a post about “that” Delonte West rumor. You know the one.
Because I never believed it — no source I trusted ever confirmed it and those closest to the team always said it was not true. Yet it was out there and will not go away — LeBron James got into it with a fan recently who brought up the rumor that West had an affair with James’ mother Gloria back in 2010 (and that was part of why those Cavaliers fell in the playoffs).
In an interview with the Dallas Morning News (one you should read all of, and one I found via The Post Game), West went out of the way to both deny the rumor and wonder why people would spread it in the first place.
“Everywhere I go, first question, ‘Don’t tell me you did that.’ …
“If we want to continue to grow as a human race, what are we teaching our kids if we try to make humor and fun out of stuff like that?” West says of the rumor. “Number one, something like that never happened. I don’t know where they got that from.
“For a strong black woman like that, for people to try to tear her down, that’s terrible. That’s terrible in so many ways.”
It is terrible. I’m glad he addressed it, because now we are done with it forever on this blog.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)