Feb 29, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
Charles Barkley has never been shy about speaking his mind, and TV/Radio personality has never prevented athletes from speaking their mind when they appear on one of his shows. So when the former NBA superstar and current TNT personality Charles Barkley went on Rome’s radio show earlier this morning, the chances of Barkley saying something crazy were high. “Sir Charles” didn’t disappoint (hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball):
“Fans man. They love their team and their player. They don’t want to hear any criticisms. They just want you to be 100 percent for their team period,” Barkley said. “I think it’s only a small faction. I think 80 percent are great. Twenty percent, I wish you could take them out back and just shoot them.”
Rome jumped in there and says, “Well, maybe not shoot them, Chuck.” But Barkley doubled down.
“No, I meant that Jim,” he said. Eighty percent of the fans are fantastic. But 20 percent of them are so mean-spirited and say the most nasty things to you, because they know you can’t grab them.”
To be fair, that bottom 20% of NBA fans can get pretty obnoxious. However, shooting people for being mean on the internet seems a touch extreme. Chalk it up to Charles being Charles, I suppose.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 6
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 22
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9