Feb 29, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
Charles Barkley has never been shy about speaking his mind, and TV/Radio personality has never prevented athletes from speaking their mind when they appear on one of his shows. So when the former NBA superstar and current TNT personality Charles Barkley went on Rome’s radio show earlier this morning, the chances of Barkley saying something crazy were high. “Sir Charles” didn’t disappoint (hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball):
“Fans man. They love their team and their player. They don’t want to hear any criticisms. They just want you to be 100 percent for their team period,” Barkley said. “I think it’s only a small faction. I think 80 percent are great. Twenty percent, I wish you could take them out back and just shoot them.”
Rome jumped in there and says, “Well, maybe not shoot them, Chuck.” But Barkley doubled down.
“No, I meant that Jim,” he said. Eighty percent of the fans are fantastic. But 20 percent of them are so mean-spirited and say the most nasty things to you, because they know you can’t grab them.”
To be fair, that bottom 20% of NBA fans can get pretty obnoxious. However, shooting people for being mean on the internet seems a touch extreme. Chalk it up to Charles being Charles, I suppose.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29