Feb 29, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
Charles Barkley has never been shy about speaking his mind, and TV/Radio personality has never prevented athletes from speaking their mind when they appear on one of his shows. So when the former NBA superstar and current TNT personality Charles Barkley went on Rome’s radio show earlier this morning, the chances of Barkley saying something crazy were high. “Sir Charles” didn’t disappoint (hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball):
“Fans man. They love their team and their player. They don’t want to hear any criticisms. They just want you to be 100 percent for their team period,” Barkley said. “I think it’s only a small faction. I think 80 percent are great. Twenty percent, I wish you could take them out back and just shoot them.”
Rome jumped in there and says, “Well, maybe not shoot them, Chuck.” But Barkley doubled down.
“No, I meant that Jim,” he said. Eighty percent of the fans are fantastic. But 20 percent of them are so mean-spirited and say the most nasty things to you, because they know you can’t grab them.”
To be fair, that bottom 20% of NBA fans can get pretty obnoxious. However, shooting people for being mean on the internet seems a touch extreme. Chalk it up to Charles being Charles, I suppose.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27