Feb 29, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
Charles Barkley has never been shy about speaking his mind, and TV/Radio personality has never prevented athletes from speaking their mind when they appear on one of his shows. So when the former NBA superstar and current TNT personality Charles Barkley went on Rome’s radio show earlier this morning, the chances of Barkley saying something crazy were high. “Sir Charles” didn’t disappoint (hat tip to Royce Young of Eye on Basketball):
“Fans man. They love their team and their player. They don’t want to hear any criticisms. They just want you to be 100 percent for their team period,” Barkley said. “I think it’s only a small faction. I think 80 percent are great. Twenty percent, I wish you could take them out back and just shoot them.”
Rome jumped in there and says, “Well, maybe not shoot them, Chuck.” But Barkley doubled down.
“No, I meant that Jim,” he said. Eighty percent of the fans are fantastic. But 20 percent of them are so mean-spirited and say the most nasty things to you, because they know you can’t grab them.”
To be fair, that bottom 20% of NBA fans can get pretty obnoxious. However, shooting people for being mean on the internet seems a touch extreme. Chalk it up to Charles being Charles, I suppose.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4