Feb 28, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
It’s strange to say this, but the 76ers really need Spencer Hawes back.
Philadelphia has lost five straight and not having Hawes is a key reason — he was the guy that swung the ball side-to-side in their offense and made it flow, with him out the ball gets stuck more often and Philly is easier to defend. Plus, he was the best center on their roster, averaging 10.5 points per game on 57 percent shooting.
…via twitter (Monday) afternoon he gave an update on his strained left Achilles tendon, saying he just landed in Philadelphia and was headed to rehab. He also said the protective boot was off and that had him really excited.
Hawes saw foot specialist Dr. Richard Ferkel of the Southern California Orthopedic Institute over the All-Star break. Dr. Ferkel’s recommended that he remove the protective boot and not play in a game for at least two weeks.
If the playoffs started today the Sixers would be the four seed by virtue of winning the Atlantic Division (a division winner can be no lower than a four seed, so even though Orlando has a better record the Sixers would be the higher seed). Philly is 3.5 games ahead of the New York Knicks, who only promise to improve as they get used to one another with everyone healthy. The Sixers need to find some wins to stave off the Knicks, and they need to do it before Hawes gets back.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 19
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 10
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 15
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months