Feb 28, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
It’s strange to say this, but the 76ers really need Spencer Hawes back.
Philadelphia has lost five straight and not having Hawes is a key reason — he was the guy that swung the ball side-to-side in their offense and made it flow, with him out the ball gets stuck more often and Philly is easier to defend. Plus, he was the best center on their roster, averaging 10.5 points per game on 57 percent shooting.
…via twitter (Monday) afternoon he gave an update on his strained left Achilles tendon, saying he just landed in Philadelphia and was headed to rehab. He also said the protective boot was off and that had him really excited.
Hawes saw foot specialist Dr. Richard Ferkel of the Southern California Orthopedic Institute over the All-Star break. Dr. Ferkel’s recommended that he remove the protective boot and not play in a game for at least two weeks.
If the playoffs started today the Sixers would be the four seed by virtue of winning the Atlantic Division (a division winner can be no lower than a four seed, so even though Orlando has a better record the Sixers would be the higher seed). Philly is 3.5 games ahead of the New York Knicks, who only promise to improve as they get used to one another with everyone healthy. The Sixers need to find some wins to stave off the Knicks, and they need to do it before Hawes gets back.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 12
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 6
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (50)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)