Feb 28, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Brandon Roy is passionate about basketball. His love of the game came through every time you talked to him. He’s very competitive. It’s why he kept racing back from knee injuries to get on the court for the playoffs — he wants to be out there.
Roy is thinking about a comeback.
‘It’s hard being away from the game. Don’t be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court…”
According to sources close to the player, regardless of his knee problems, Roy’s decision to retire wasn’t all health related. “There’s something to it, but it’s not the right time for me to get into it right now,” Roy said. “I’ve been doing some treatment and I’m trying to leave the window open to returning to basketball.”
When met with skepticism regarding his comeback, Roy explained, “It’s the truth. It’s really hard being so far away from the game. I spend time watching Jamal (Crawford) and following all of his games; Will (Conroy) and Tre (Simmons) are both doing their thing, so it’s driving me to wanna come back out there. If the treatment I’ve been looking into can work, I believe there’s a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin’.”
We don’t know what this therapy is (the treatment Kobe Bryant got?), but unless it can regenerate cartilage, I’m not sure it will work. His knees are just worn out. He retired before the start of this season because of them.
I can only imagine how hard it is for Roy to walk away from the game he loves at what should be the prime of his career. This guy was a three-time All-Star, a Rookie of the Year, the anchor of a good Blazers team. But after everything I don’t want to have to watch him struggle through a comeback attempt.
- Report: Tracy McGrady works out with Kobe, eyes return to NBA 0
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14