Say it ain’t so: Brandon Roy reportedly considers comeback

Feb 28, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT

Brandon Roy AP

Brandon Roy is passionate about basketball. His love of the game came through every time you talked to him. He’s very competitive. It’s why he kept racing back from knee injuries to get on the court for the playoffs — he wants to be out there.

So I guess this report out of US Basket (via Hoopshype) shouldn’t be a shocker:

Roy is thinking about a comeback.

‘It’s hard being away from the game. Don’t be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court…”

According to sources close to the player, regardless of his knee problems, Roy’s decision to retire wasn’t all health related. “There’s something to it, but it’s not the right time for me to get into it right now,” Roy said. “I’ve been doing some treatment and I’m trying to leave the window open to returning to basketball.”

When met with skepticism regarding his comeback, Roy explained, “It’s the truth. It’s really hard being so far away from the game. I spend time watching Jamal (Crawford) and following all of his games; Will (Conroy) and Tre (Simmons) are both doing their thing, so it’s driving me to wanna come back out there. If the treatment I’ve been looking into can work, I believe there’s a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin’.”

We don’t know what this therapy is (the treatment Kobe Bryant got?), but unless it can regenerate cartilage, I’m not sure it will work. His knees are just worn out. He retired before the start of this season because of them.

I can only imagine how hard it is for Roy to walk away from the game he loves at what should be the prime of his career. This guy was a three-time All-Star, a Rookie of the Year, the anchor of a good Blazers team. But after everything I don’t want to have to watch him struggle through a comeback attempt.

1. palakerfan - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

So what he’s afraid to say is Portland asked him to retire as injured so they could collect the insurance on his contract/no salary cap hit, etc. – however that works. It’s the same thing the Lakers wished Luke Walton would do but he won’t.

Good luck on your comeback Brandon. Every player should be able to go out on his own terms.

2. limonadamas - Feb 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Totally agree… can’t say enough about the importance of cartilage.

Roy was a class act, on and off the court. He’s got potential to do other things with his life to impact people positively. I hope that he sees that too. Having said that, it’s his life, and I hope he finds fulfillment and peace regardless.

3. baron30 - Feb 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

play him 15-20 minutes a night plus in some key situations at the end of games….he would be the ultimate super sub…and yes im sure really didn’t want to retire and play through as much pain as possible but the Blazers guilted him into it to get the insurance coverage for his contract.

• goforthanddie - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Yeah, because Paul Allen doesn’t use contracts like Roy’s to wipe his ass with every day. Roy’s big payday=pocket change.
      What you and the guy above you fail to realize: Roy was gone either way, and he was getting paid in full either way. Retirement worked out best for the Blazers, and if Roy were a team player, he recognized that and did the right thing. He wasn’t worth his contract any more, he couldn’t even guarantee 15 minutes every night.
      Roy’s just doing more of what he was doing before, thinking he knows more than the doctors or his coach. He came back too early from previous injuries because “he wanted to play”, not because he was ready. Now he thinks his knees are magically all better. Last I checked, cartilage doesn’t regrow. He just can’t accept the fact that life doesn’t always go your way. But I’m sure once he starts talking, it won’t be his fault.

4. cosanostra71 - Feb 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Reminds me of Michael Dickerson. Although Roy was probably better than Dickerson, but nonetheless- talented player cut down way too young.

5. glink123 - Feb 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

It’s amazing how hard it is for these guys to walk away from the sport. Especially when the money runs out. Being broke really makes them loooovvvve the game.

• theonlysaneblazerfan - Feb 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Brandon Roy definitely isn’t broke. He never wore bling, didn’t drive a Bentley, not the type to squander $80+ million in a few years. In other words he’s the opposite of Allen Iverson. The comment above is just pure ignorance.

• rusty707 - Sep 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Just an FYI, I just bought his White Bentley GTC and have his signature on a release doc to prove it! Get your facts straight!

• bigmeechy74 - Feb 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Next time you get ready to type something that stupid….. do us all and yourself a favor and stop yourself.

• 0pu8bdmx - Feb 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM

You just did an impressive imitation of somebody who doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about.

Brandon is still being paid. His contract isn’t ended, it’s just being paid by insurance now.

And if you don’t think he’d come back because he loves basketball, you haven’t paid much attention to the Blazers in the past few years.

6. slurtis - Feb 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Wow, so just to let you know, Portland was forced to amnesty Brandon Roy in order to sign Jamal Crawford. The dude knew he was gonna get cut and said he was retiring. The blazers didnt force his hand in retiring to collect insurance, the forced his hand to save face. I appreciate everything he did for this organization and the NBA he is an absolute class act but Portland had no choice but to amnesty Brandon. You simply cant have a max contract on your books thats playing 15 minutes a game and hope to be competitive. I wish him the best in life and I truly hope he doesnt stage a comeback if he cant be an Allstar again. I want to remember him lighting up defenses for 52 not struggling to appear in 52 games.

7. dysraw1 - Feb 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM

yo big boy roy please think this through carefully dont spend the rest of your days in a wheel chair for desire

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview