Feb 28, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Dwight Howard has set his terms and they have not changed — he is not signing an extension with the Magic right now and he will only sign an extension with the Nets (his preferred destination), Lakers or Mavericks.
But Golden State has not given up — and they don’t care about an extension. Here’s the tweet from Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.
Warriors continuing push for Dwight Howard deal even without DH commitment to re-signing. Not backing off from risky move, source says.
That would be a very risky move, as the rumors out there — such as the one in the New York Post nobody believes — has the Warriors giving up Monta Ellis and other parts and picks in a deal. All that, they have to make up a lot of ground (3 games and leapfrog four teams) just to make the playoffs, then Howard can just walk at the end of the season.
Here’s another potential explanation: If you were a new ownership group whose team has not lived up to your coach’s promises so far this season, and you are trying to sell a fan base on how things are different now, saying you are aggressively going after a big name is smart. You don’t have to make the move, just sell that you tried. Of course, the Warriors have long been tied to big rumors that never really happened.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 0
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 10
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 30
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5