Feb 28, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Dwight Howard has set his terms and they have not changed — he is not signing an extension with the Magic right now and he will only sign an extension with the Nets (his preferred destination), Lakers or Mavericks.
But Golden State has not given up — and they don’t care about an extension. Here’s the tweet from Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.
Warriors continuing push for Dwight Howard deal even without DH commitment to re-signing. Not backing off from risky move, source says.
That would be a very risky move, as the rumors out there — such as the one in the New York Post nobody believes — has the Warriors giving up Monta Ellis and other parts and picks in a deal. All that, they have to make up a lot of ground (3 games and leapfrog four teams) just to make the playoffs, then Howard can just walk at the end of the season.
Here’s another potential explanation: If you were a new ownership group whose team has not lived up to your coach’s promises so far this season, and you are trying to sell a fan base on how things are different now, saying you are aggressively going after a big name is smart. You don’t have to make the move, just sell that you tried. Of course, the Warriors have long been tied to big rumors that never really happened.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 30
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8