Feb 28, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Dwight Howard has set his terms and they have not changed — he is not signing an extension with the Magic right now and he will only sign an extension with the Nets (his preferred destination), Lakers or Mavericks.
But Golden State has not given up — and they don’t care about an extension. Here’s the tweet from Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.
Warriors continuing push for Dwight Howard deal even without DH commitment to re-signing. Not backing off from risky move, source says.
That would be a very risky move, as the rumors out there — such as the one in the New York Post nobody believes — has the Warriors giving up Monta Ellis and other parts and picks in a deal. All that, they have to make up a lot of ground (3 games and leapfrog four teams) just to make the playoffs, then Howard can just walk at the end of the season.
Here’s another potential explanation: If you were a new ownership group whose team has not lived up to your coach’s promises so far this season, and you are trying to sell a fan base on how things are different now, saying you are aggressively going after a big name is smart. You don’t have to make the move, just sell that you tried. Of course, the Warriors have long been tied to big rumors that never really happened.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2