Feb 28, 2012, 7:54 PM EDT
Dwight Howard has set his terms and they have not changed — he is not signing an extension with the Magic right now and he will only sign an extension with the Nets (his preferred destination), Lakers or Mavericks.
But Golden State has not given up — and they don’t care about an extension. Here’s the tweet from Scott Howard-Cooper of NBA.com.
Warriors continuing push for Dwight Howard deal even without DH commitment to re-signing. Not backing off from risky move, source says.
That would be a very risky move, as the rumors out there — such as the one in the New York Post nobody believes — has the Warriors giving up Monta Ellis and other parts and picks in a deal. All that, they have to make up a lot of ground (3 games and leapfrog four teams) just to make the playoffs, then Howard can just walk at the end of the season.
Here’s another potential explanation: If you were a new ownership group whose team has not lived up to your coach’s promises so far this season, and you are trying to sell a fan base on how things are different now, saying you are aggressively going after a big name is smart. You don’t have to make the move, just sell that you tried. Of course, the Warriors have long been tied to big rumors that never really happened.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18