Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
I’m beginning to think we should use Michael Beasley as the “desperation meter” between now and the trade deadline — whenever a team considers going after Beasley because “they can turn him around” you know they are desperate.
Enter the Boston Celtics and New Jersey Nets.
Following in the footsteps of Lakers rumors, there are now reports that the Celtics and Nets have interest in Michael Beasley. Of course, it’s from Peter Vecsey of the New York Post, so please take with a whole lot of salt.
The Lakers, also in dire need of a legitimate scoring threat at small forward, have genuine interest in Michael Beasley, but it’s doubtful they’ll use the $8.9 million trade exception (from Lamar Odom being shipped to Dallas) to acquire him because of the increased luxury tax consequences stemming from the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman recently committed to boosting Derrick Williams’ minutes, making Beasley extraneous. Minnesota is pushing hard to relocate his $6.2 million expiring contract and have the Nets and Celtics leaning.
Beasley is the kind of player desperate teams can talk themselves into, kind of like the decisions you make at a bar at 2 a.m. In the sober light of day the negatives vastly outweigh the positives, but if you want you can note that the guy can score and his deal is expiring so….
Hence, he’s the desperation meter.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20