Feb 28, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
I’m beginning to think we should use Michael Beasley as the “desperation meter” between now and the trade deadline — whenever a team considers going after Beasley because “they can turn him around” you know they are desperate.
Enter the Boston Celtics and New Jersey Nets.
Following in the footsteps of Lakers rumors, there are now reports that the Celtics and Nets have interest in Michael Beasley. Of course, it’s from Peter Vecsey of the New York Post, so please take with a whole lot of salt.
The Lakers, also in dire need of a legitimate scoring threat at small forward, have genuine interest in Michael Beasley, but it’s doubtful they’ll use the $8.9 million trade exception (from Lamar Odom being shipped to Dallas) to acquire him because of the increased luxury tax consequences stemming from the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman recently committed to boosting Derrick Williams’ minutes, making Beasley extraneous. Minnesota is pushing hard to relocate his $6.2 million expiring contract and have the Nets and Celtics leaning.
Beasley is the kind of player desperate teams can talk themselves into, kind of like the decisions you make at a bar at 2 a.m. In the sober light of day the negatives vastly outweigh the positives, but if you want you can note that the guy can score and his deal is expiring so….
Hence, he’s the desperation meter.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15