Feb 28, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Paul George feels the same way about the dunk contest that you do — it was a joke and the NBA’s biggest stars need to take part.
Of course, unlike you, George was part of that “joke” this year. He had some good jumps, going over Roy Hibbert and the glow-in-the-dark dunk (see below).
Here is what George told the Indianapolis Star on Tuesday as he returned to the Pacers from a weekend in Orlando.
“(Not to) take nothing away from the dunk contest, (but) it was a joke,” George said. “I guess whoever had the biggest celebrity involved in their dunk was going to be the winner. I guess I should have tried to reach out to some people.
“If you leave it up to fans, they probably wouldn’t have known who Larry was. I think I was destined to lose it.”
Remember, the fans voted for the winner. Although, if it went to the guy with the biggest star in his skit it would have gone to Chase Budinger. No offense to Kevin Hart, but Diddy is bigger.
The consensus after the dunk contest ended was that the league has to motivate its biggest stars to be part of the event.
“I agree, you have to have the faces of the league come back and get involved in it,” George said. “That’s what really made it big back in the day when you had Jordan and Dominique going at it. That was the All Stars and the guys that were the men in the league. That’s what fans want to see.”
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 0
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 5
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 4
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)