Feb 28, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Paul George feels the same way about the dunk contest that you do — it was a joke and the NBA’s biggest stars need to take part.
Of course, unlike you, George was part of that “joke” this year. He had some good jumps, going over Roy Hibbert and the glow-in-the-dark dunk (see below).
Here is what George told the Indianapolis Star on Tuesday as he returned to the Pacers from a weekend in Orlando.
“(Not to) take nothing away from the dunk contest, (but) it was a joke,” George said. “I guess whoever had the biggest celebrity involved in their dunk was going to be the winner. I guess I should have tried to reach out to some people.
“If you leave it up to fans, they probably wouldn’t have known who Larry was. I think I was destined to lose it.”
Remember, the fans voted for the winner. Although, if it went to the guy with the biggest star in his skit it would have gone to Chase Budinger. No offense to Kevin Hart, but Diddy is bigger.
The consensus after the dunk contest ended was that the league has to motivate its biggest stars to be part of the event.
“I agree, you have to have the faces of the league come back and get involved in it,” George said. “That’s what really made it big back in the day when you had Jordan and Dominique going at it. That was the All Stars and the guys that were the men in the league. That’s what fans want to see.”
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 3
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games