Feb 28, 2012, 12:06 PM EST
Kevin Garnett says it’s time for the Celtics to step it up.
He’s right — I listed them as the most disappointing team of the first half of the season, because they have the talent to be better than they are by a long shot.
To address that, Garnett called a players-only meeting before the break, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
So before the team would venture off into the abyss that we know of as All-Star weekend, Garnett held an impromptu team meeting with a clear and very succinct Garnett-esque message.
If you’re not ready to step your game up the second half of the season, step aside and don’t come back because he doesn’t want you and the Celtics don’t need you.
This message matters a whole lot less than the six days off the injured and weary Celtics just got off. (Yes, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo played in the All-Star Game, but it was still less of a grind than the regular schedule.) What an older team like Boston needed more than anything was a chance to catch its breath and let some bumps and bruises heal.
The Celtics open the second half of the season Wednesday against Cleveland. And look for them to seem rejuvenated.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 21
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 9
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (51)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)