Feb 28, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
He wasn’t kidding.
West has made more than $14 million in his career, but during the lockout he sold off his cars, jewelry, and was living in the Mavericks locker room for a while, he told the Dallas Morning News (via IamaGM).
“Just about everything I own, except for my house and the clothes on my back,” West said.
During training camp, the Mavericks were allowed to get West a hotel room, but once the season started, they had to stop because that’s considered an added benefit. West said he tried to rent but a lot of places wouldn’t take him because he has a criminal record (he was arrested near his Maryland home in 2009 for having a variety of weapons in his vehicle and some driving violations). West had a place to stay when the Mavs traveled, but when in Dallas he slept in the locker room or in his car, he told the paper.
Mark Cuban got wind of it and had people renting a place to West within a day.
How did West go through all that money? He underwent a divorce, and had to spend plenty on legal fees, and a lot of money got sucked out of his savings, he told the paper.
A lot of his problems — including the divorce and legal troubles — are tied to the bipolar disorder he battles.
- Josh McRoberts fined $20,000 for forearm foul to LeBron’s throat 0
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 28
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 5
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 23
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11