Feb 27, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Marcus Morris was drafted by the Houston Rockets with the last lottery selection of last year’s NBA Draft, but the former Kansas Jayhawks standout hasn’t had his rookie year go as he probably hoped. It apparently took a turn for the worse during the NBA All-Star Weekend, too, as reports indicate he was ticketed for his role in a bar fight back in Kansas.
Morris, along with one other bar patron, was ticketed following a dispute at 2:37 a.m. on Sunday following a fight at a Lawrence, Kan., bar. Both Marcus and his brother Markieff were in town for the last Border War match-up between their Jayhawks and the Missouri Tigers. It’s unclear exactly what role Morris played in the altercation, but a report from 6News in Lawrence included the following statement.
“A male employee was allegedly punched by another man after a verbal dispute turned physical,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman. “Another man allegedly punched the employee from behind.”
Morris is scheduled to appear in court on March 20, according to the police report. Until then, it probably wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rockets assign their rookie to the D-League once again as he’s appeared in just three games for the team this season — none since Dec. 30 — amid a couple of visits to the Rockets-owned Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
Marcus is averaging less than two points per contest in his three NBA games this season while brother Markieff has turned into a rotation player for the Phoenix Suns, scoring 7.9 points and grabbing five rebounds per game in his 34 outings thus far.
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 1
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 30
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose 31
- George Hill injury jeopardizes Pacers’ identity 1
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay