Feb 27, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Marcus Morris was drafted by the Houston Rockets with the last lottery selection of last year’s NBA Draft, but the former Kansas Jayhawks standout hasn’t had his rookie year go as he probably hoped. It apparently took a turn for the worse during the NBA All-Star Weekend, too, as reports indicate he was ticketed for his role in a bar fight back in Kansas.
Morris, along with one other bar patron, was ticketed following a dispute at 2:37 a.m. on Sunday following a fight at a Lawrence, Kan., bar. Both Marcus and his brother Markieff were in town for the last Border War match-up between their Jayhawks and the Missouri Tigers. It’s unclear exactly what role Morris played in the altercation, but a report from 6News in Lawrence included the following statement.
“A male employee was allegedly punched by another man after a verbal dispute turned physical,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman. “Another man allegedly punched the employee from behind.”
Morris is scheduled to appear in court on March 20, according to the police report. Until then, it probably wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rockets assign their rookie to the D-League once again as he’s appeared in just three games for the team this season — none since Dec. 30 — amid a couple of visits to the Rockets-owned Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
Marcus is averaging less than two points per contest in his three NBA games this season while brother Markieff has turned into a rotation player for the Phoenix Suns, scoring 7.9 points and grabbing five rebounds per game in his 34 outings thus far.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23