Feb 27, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Marcus Morris was drafted by the Houston Rockets with the last lottery selection of last year’s NBA Draft, but the former Kansas Jayhawks standout hasn’t had his rookie year go as he probably hoped. It apparently took a turn for the worse during the NBA All-Star Weekend, too, as reports indicate he was ticketed for his role in a bar fight back in Kansas.
Morris, along with one other bar patron, was ticketed following a dispute at 2:37 a.m. on Sunday following a fight at a Lawrence, Kan., bar. Both Marcus and his brother Markieff were in town for the last Border War match-up between their Jayhawks and the Missouri Tigers. It’s unclear exactly what role Morris played in the altercation, but a report from 6News in Lawrence included the following statement.
“A male employee was allegedly punched by another man after a verbal dispute turned physical,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman. “Another man allegedly punched the employee from behind.”
Morris is scheduled to appear in court on March 20, according to the police report. Until then, it probably wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rockets assign their rookie to the D-League once again as he’s appeared in just three games for the team this season — none since Dec. 30 — amid a couple of visits to the Rockets-owned Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
Marcus is averaging less than two points per contest in his three NBA games this season while brother Markieff has turned into a rotation player for the Phoenix Suns, scoring 7.9 points and grabbing five rebounds per game in his 34 outings thus far.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43