Feb 27, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Marcus Morris was drafted by the Houston Rockets with the last lottery selection of last year’s NBA Draft, but the former Kansas Jayhawks standout hasn’t had his rookie year go as he probably hoped. It apparently took a turn for the worse during the NBA All-Star Weekend, too, as reports indicate he was ticketed for his role in a bar fight back in Kansas.
Morris, along with one other bar patron, was ticketed following a dispute at 2:37 a.m. on Sunday following a fight at a Lawrence, Kan., bar. Both Marcus and his brother Markieff were in town for the last Border War match-up between their Jayhawks and the Missouri Tigers. It’s unclear exactly what role Morris played in the altercation, but a report from 6News in Lawrence included the following statement.
“A male employee was allegedly punched by another man after a verbal dispute turned physical,” said Kim Murphree, police spokeswoman. “Another man allegedly punched the employee from behind.”
Morris is scheduled to appear in court on March 20, according to the police report. Until then, it probably wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rockets assign their rookie to the D-League once again as he’s appeared in just three games for the team this season — none since Dec. 30 — amid a couple of visits to the Rockets-owned Rio Grande Valley Vipers.
Marcus is averaging less than two points per contest in his three NBA games this season while brother Markieff has turned into a rotation player for the Phoenix Suns, scoring 7.9 points and grabbing five rebounds per game in his 34 outings thus far.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50