Feb 26, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
I’m just going to put this one out there, and let you decide how you feel about it. Peter Vescey of the New York Post, yes, him, has a post describing the Dwight Howard situation and the Lakers’ involvement. Apparently there’s been an offer, and apparently it was shot down. From the Post:
“I can tell you for a fact the Lakers offered Andrew Bynum and the Magic do not want him,” said a Western Conference executive.”
So that’s fun. It should be no surprise that if the Lakers offered a straight-up swap of Bynum for Howard that the Magic said no. Or screamed “No!” Or laughed and hung up. Or laughed so much they had to be put in an institution for three days. Bynum is an injury prone, inconsistent player with debatable work-ethic issues and a history of reckless on-court behavior. Dwight Howard is an MVP candidate. So that’s kind of funny.
That’s really the crux of this deal. The Lakers can probably get Howard, but they don’t want to give up Bynum and Pau Gasol. They’ll need to send out both players,even if they involve other teams to get more pieces back. Howard’s just worth that much more than Gasol and Bynum are valued at. If the Lakers like those two guys so much, that’s fine, they can keep them, but they can’t get Howard. Maybe the Magic’s resolve will weaken in the coming months, but that’s where they’re at now.
Vescey also throws out there that Gasol-for-Jermaine-O’Neal-and-Rajon Rondo deal could be out there. Raise your hand if you can see the Lakers and Celtics making a deal given even the recent history between the two teams, and if you think Gasol embodies the Celtics culture. Yeah, me neither.
All-Star Weekend is over. Trade season is here. Getcha’ popcorn.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 10
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8