Feb 26, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
I’m just going to put this one out there, and let you decide how you feel about it. Peter Vescey of the New York Post, yes, him, has a post describing the Dwight Howard situation and the Lakers’ involvement. Apparently there’s been an offer, and apparently it was shot down. From the Post:
“I can tell you for a fact the Lakers offered Andrew Bynum and the Magic do not want him,” said a Western Conference executive.”
So that’s fun. It should be no surprise that if the Lakers offered a straight-up swap of Bynum for Howard that the Magic said no. Or screamed “No!” Or laughed and hung up. Or laughed so much they had to be put in an institution for three days. Bynum is an injury prone, inconsistent player with debatable work-ethic issues and a history of reckless on-court behavior. Dwight Howard is an MVP candidate. So that’s kind of funny.
That’s really the crux of this deal. The Lakers can probably get Howard, but they don’t want to give up Bynum and Pau Gasol. They’ll need to send out both players,even if they involve other teams to get more pieces back. Howard’s just worth that much more than Gasol and Bynum are valued at. If the Lakers like those two guys so much, that’s fine, they can keep them, but they can’t get Howard. Maybe the Magic’s resolve will weaken in the coming months, but that’s where they’re at now.
Vescey also throws out there that Gasol-for-Jermaine-O’Neal-and-Rajon Rondo deal could be out there. Raise your hand if you can see the Lakers and Celtics making a deal given even the recent history between the two teams, and if you think Gasol embodies the Celtics culture. Yeah, me neither.
All-Star Weekend is over. Trade season is here. Getcha’ popcorn.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31